SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 2.8 Junky
Boss: SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer

Purchased from: Music Exchange

I use it with a 5-string bass and an Ashdown amp and it does not work well at all. The pedal is OK for making some unusual sounds but you can't play an actual bass line with this on. There is a very small variety of effects and they are ear piercingly horrible to hear.

I play funk music so a synthesizer pedal sounds perfect in theory but in practice this thing has not delivered for me. This pedal has been a complete dissappointment since the day I got it (especially seeing how there was a nice multi-effects bass pedal in the shop for the same price but the foot pedal was faulty so I got this instead)and I would not recommend buying this to anyone unless I truly hated them. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy a new one I would just go get a decent pedal, maybe one you can actually use, like one from the DigiTech X-Series.

This thing is quite strong but I wouldn't take it to a gig at all, I wouldn't take it anywhere. If you like this crazy sound then you could trust it (like most single effect pedals) to have a long life and to last but it would be a relief if mine just exploded.

This pedal is impossible to get a good sound out of. I've had it for a year and no matter how much tinkering I do I cannot find a use for it. There are only a few types of sound and one of them sounds like a laser, sounds fun but it's a complete headache and gets very boring very quickly (and you look a bit silly pretending to shoot your band mates with your guitar, trust me). There are six editing patches and I just can't work them, a patient bass player could probably sit down and find some good sounds but I just don't want the hassle.

dirtymexican863
    lolz
    Neo Evil11
    aaciseric : I have this pedal and the sounds are way too weird, theres no way of applying it to decent music and the sounds are too quiet and don't last. I disagree with this review alot.
    didn't you write it yourself . Just kidding know what you mean!
    tsunami bomb
    i play this with a cry baby bass in front of it, digi-tech bass distortion pedal after it in my loop and for a fan of Death From Above 1979, i'd say i'm quite pleased. especially when you hold down the tone on the synth and play with distortion over it, tis great. pitty i blew my amp.
    aaciseric
    Yeah, I think this thing is pretty much like marmite, you either love it or you hate it, personally I hate it but as I said in the review if your more patient than me, or if you've got a good setup like 'tsunami bomb' said then you might love it, test it thoroughly before purchase.
    Sgt. Pepper
    dirtymexican863 wrote: dointime024 wrote: 'Fender Bass Strat'....your probably shouldn't be writing reviews if you don't even know what your instrument is called.
    There was such a thing as a Fender Strat Bass actually, I think Sting used one on '84 Police tour - sorta sounded like a mix between a Rickenbacker and day old cum but was pretty enough. He might be talking about, unless I'm wrong, which is another maybe.
    Wasted Bassist
    Sorry Sgt, but Sting used a P bass that was also sometimes called a telecaster bass. Strat + bass = wtf sauce.
    Marley167
    I would not recommend buying this to anyone unless I truly hated them.
    Lol
    TJ1991
    mickjones76
    TJ1991 wrote: Would a Fender Strat Bass just basically be a Jazz? Its the same shape, in the same way the Precision is the same shape as a Telecaster.
    Do you even have eyes? A P-bass is the same shape of a telecaster?