SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer review by Boss

Boss: SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer

Purchased from: second hand store

I mainly use a Fender Jazz with rotosound flats, old school trace head with GK speakers and various other pedals and I love the sounds I get from this. I have a couple of settings I use on the pedal but just requires turning the mode knob to a different number. I wouldn't want to be fiddling with the tiny controls on stage so best keep it simple.

Like I said before I play funk so this is perfect, I've been in gigging bands for years so have seen a lot of gear come and go but if this was stolen/lost I would get another straight away, I love the exp pedal option but think the tiny controls could be improved. To improve it for live work I wish it was in a bigger pedal layout with mebbee with a switch for scrolling the sounds and another for a true bypass but it is what it is and I like it anyway.

Pretty solid but I don't like the look of the tiny controls, I've had no probs with them but the don't look very strong (I could be wrong though I've yet to break a Boss pedal and I've bust loads of others)I use it without a backup but then I've got other pedals on the board which could substitue if need be.

Very very easy to use, no trouble getting great sounds for playing funk. If you understand what res/freq etc do on a synth then you'll have no probs with this pedal either. I use it with the expression pedal which gives you control over the filter sweep (on most settings) tracks the bass notes very well on the mono settings when playing fingerstyle (breaks up a bit if you play fast stuff), tracks really good on the polyphonic settings for notes, chords and slap lines. Some people compare this to the EHX bass micro synth (which I have as well) but I feel a comparison is unfair as they're completely different beasts, the EHX is great as well but in a different way, if it's out and out synthness you're after I think the SYB-5 is way better + the option to hook up a exp pedal. didn't use the manual as it's so straightforwrd:: gave this pedal a 9 as mine eats batteries like no other pedal I've owned.. Get a power supply or a big pile of 9v's!