SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer review by Boss

Boss: SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer

Purchased from: eBay

I use this pedal with a Peavey Cirrus and an Ashdown Electric Blue 180. This pedal has some AMAZING sounds. The best settings are the one octave below sounds. For drum and bass and other dance styles it really is a great piece of kit. The only problem I've found is that on the octave below settings it can have trouble tracking lower notes, but only really below A.

I use this pedal for dance styles, but also for some rock music (in the same way as Chris Wolstenholme of Muse). It's probably the best pedal I own or have played with, even if I only use it sparingly. It has a number of great effects that are all better than the best settings on other Synth pedals I have played with. The reson I'm giving 9 and not 10? It isn't an Akai Deep Impact.

I haven't had it very long but it's made by BOSS, and if that's anything to go by it should work just fine for as long as I need it. I bought this pedal second hand from a seller on EBAY, so it has also had use before I owned it. It's my first Boss single pedal, but I know lots of other players who use a variety of Boss products, and I've never heard a single complaint. I would use it without a backup.

Pretty difficult initially set up, there are lots of different things to set! Having had this pedal for a few weeks, I still don't fully understand what everything does and sometimes have trouble getting it to do what I want, but now I've come up with some pre-sets and I can always rely on them.