Bass Driver review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
DigiTech: Bass Driver

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Fun but lacking. Towards the left hand of the scale there's an overdrive that tries to be subtle but just sounds a bit crap and soul-less. At about halfway round the sound is a more definte distortion sound, but I don't like that either (reminds me of a muzzeled dog or something equally pretentious). Turning the morph dial all the way to 11 produces an over the top digital fuzz. I desperately want to find a use for the fuzz, because it's really fun and exaggerated but it lacks low end "oomph" to use on it's own. Blending it into a dry signal makes the fuzz sound even more empty like a buzzing fly attached to your tone.

Actually thinking about it, the 'mixer out' which simulates a 4x10 cabinet is quite a nice feature. The actual distortion isn't very good though. Not to be used live. Actually I just remembered it works fairly well with electric guitar and defintely much better than it does with bass.

If you wanted to, you could defintely bludgeon someone to death with this thing, although you might want to give it a wipe afterwards. Despite having a strong casing, the switching mechanisim is designed in such a way that the weight of your body (in my case, a lot) is levered directly onto the PCB (flimsy and plasticy), and when intermittent switching problems start cropping up the bludgeoning idea doesn't sound so silly anymore. Overall the pressure needed to Switch has gone from 'crushing an egg' to 'crushing a can' and sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

There are only 4 knobs to play with so you can't really go wrong. Level adjusts the output volume, Tone adjusts the EQ range (i.e. butchers your tone), Blend adjusts between the wet signal of the pedal and the original dry signal and Morph cycles through different flavours of distortion (overdrive through to obliterated fuzz). On paper this makes the pedal easy to use, but I've spent so long twiddling those knobs and still haven't really found what I'm looking for. Also, the manual says that you open the battery cover/switch plate by pushing the end of a cable jack into a socket. That socket is a bit too small to do that easily, I used to scramble around for a blunt pencil to open it up.

lorrythebassguy
    slayerisntmusic wrote: I own this pedal and I think it sounds great! I can get a very solid, beefy overdrive, or a subtle added growl to help emphasize my bass lines when jamming, the fuzz isn't to bad either, and that's coming from somebody who generally doesn't care for fuzz.
    Ive just bought one of these, and its really not that bad, its quite versatile and is a very good first OD pedal for bass. I only ever use it for the tube-like growl with the morph knob fully left!
    Jøhnny
    I just bought this, and seriously, it makes your bass sound so ****ing horrible... But it's actually quite good for a guitar!!!
    reggie0192
    This pedal can make your bass sound good, in certain situations that i found, even though i dont care for it. the major use i find with it is messing with the blend, while keeping the tone all the way, but use a harmonic, i usally use 5 and 12, and just let it ring out and adjust the Morph knob while the note rings makes a good intro or outro
    chris.fuller.92
    You mentioned this working with an electric guitar. Any recommended settings for it with a guitar?
    slayerisntmusic