Bass Synth Wah review by DigiTech

DigiTech: Bass Synth Wah

Purchased from: Swee Lee Music Company

The sound can be too digital for comfort; however there are many different sounds that can be produced which makes this a very useful pedal to have. I would suggest putting a limiter/compressor after it to regulate it as it can get quite harsh sounding, which is what I'm going to do soon. I managed to turn it into an octaver too, by setting it at OctaSub and turning the Range down to zero. However since this only goes down one octave I may still consider getting an actual octaver if I still need it fatter. The envelope filter setting was also pretty useful for me.

I'm currently in a glam-rock band and a church band. I've used it for both quite nicely; it's quite versatile. if it were misplaced I wouldn't rush into replacing it too soon; I'd probably take a look at a Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker or an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron first. To be honest I only really bought this cos it was on sale. I wish it had a more analog-sounding autowah function.

So far so good; it seems quite durable with it's metal casing and definitely won't move around on stage as it's quite heavy. I'd use it on a gig without a backup, but well, I never get backups for gigs anyway. I've heard stories about DigiTech foot pedals losing their connection after too much stomping; well only time will tell I guess.

I wouldn't say it's easy to get a good sound; it's easier to get a lot of fun sounds that will make you keep playing with it for hours in your bedroom just seeing what funky/weird sounds you can come up with. But most of this wouldn't be very easily applied to a bassline in a band setting unless you're Bootsy Collins. The manual was rather helpful as a rough guide to what sounds may be produced from it. I referred to the menu samples and tweaked them to get what I wanted.