BP200 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: BP200

There's lots of sounds in this pedal, but I've found that many either don't sound very good or aren't usable onstage or sometimes even for recording. However, many of the sounds I create myself sound fantastic and I use them both onstage, in practice, and recording. Also, the user-created effects will let you get the sound you want from your favorite bands (I have created a NIN-style distortion and a Tool-style chorus). The overdrive/distortion effects always seem to add an annoying hiss to your sound, though. Also, the expression pedal has an extremely annoying tendency to want to go from 0 to 100 without any inbetween. I would either spend a couple days training your foot or simply eliminate it from all your effects. For wah, though, I'd adjust the minimum and maximum values to decrease the sweep and get the sound you want. Bottom line, this pedal is entertaining, but it's sounds are not very usable onstage unless you do some modifying. NOTE: I use a number of different active and passive basses running through this pedal to an Ampeg B2RE and a Gallien-Kreuger Goldline 4x10. Both active and passive basses work fine.

Because of the variety of genres I cover, the number of sounds available here is very nice. But because of the previously mentioned problem with the expression pedal, I have purchased a Crybaby and couldn't be happier with the upgrade in wah quality. This pedal is so useful once you customize the sounds, if it was lost/stolen and I couldn't afford something better, I'd instantly buy it again.

I've had this pedal for 4 years, and it's still never had a durability issue. I've used this pedal as my only pedal on quite a few gigs and it's worked fine. I'd suggest adjusting the order of the effects for maximum onstage comfort first, though. The up and down pedals have taken a pounding over the years and still work without problems. I've dropped it more than a few times, even on concrete, and there has been no problems (though I wouldn't recommend dropping it frequently [duh]).

Very easy to use. Just press the 'Select' button and every sound becomes instantly customizable. That's good, because you will be doing a lot of adjusting do to the mediocrity of the preset sounds.You can also change around the order of the effects so that you can easily Switch between overdrive, chorus, wah, phaser, etc, without having to travel long distances. Sometimes having to stomp on both the up and down pedals to engage the bypass can be a hassle.