BP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: BP50

Purchased from: Absolute Music

I think that the sound I can get out of this little fella is amazing. The only thing I play is heavy metal and a little bit of altnernative rock/grunge like Rage Against The Machine. I'm running the BP50 through a Peavey TNT 150 watt bass amp and a Peavey Milestone IV, I've tried it on my Washburn Bad Dog 30 watt amp and I can get better sounding notes on the D and G strings, but only the higher notes sound good on it like 9th frets and above. With this pedal, when I am playing Rage Against The Machine I have it set so I can go from a really hard wah to a clean setting with a push of a pedal. But for when I'm playing with my band I have one of the 80 seperate setting set for distortion and high level to I can get extremely loud ripping bass notes out. There are quite a few different settings for the chorus, but I don't really like how chorus sounds in unison with the style I play, but with the given selection that DigiTech ahs provided there is definatly a setting that someone would like. it's pretty loud when I'm using it because it has a master volume setting that allows how much output it sends to the amp from the pedal. There is also a drum beat machine built in so if you want to work on your timinf for a certain song or time signature (ie. 4/4 time 5/4 time ect.) you can go through teh 30 different beats and select one and change the tempo to however you prefer. The Distortion options you are given are amazing you have sounds from rasps to screaching to growling and techno wizzingish sounds (I have no clue how to descride that any other way).

I mainly play metal and a bit of alternative/grunge so it's really good for that, I think that someone that was a blues or jazz player could get what they wanted out of it for effects. I was happy to know when I was purchasing it that it also has a built in tuner that you can access that is able to tune you all the way to drop A (that's the tuning that the metal band Korn plays with) so that makes me happy (no more angrily searhing for my tuner anymore). I've been playing for over a year now and I've tried a few different effects pedals and read about a few and I decided that this was the best bang for the buck. I can't think about anything I should have asked before buying this other than "How much is this I want it." If this was lost or stolen I would definatly either buy a new one or upgrade to an even better effects pedal, pretty much I would do what I could afford to do. I compared it to a few othere's at the store but I found that for the price this one had the best selection.

So far I've had this pedal for about a month now, it's been kicked a few times, the pedals have been stomped at leasts 3 or 4 times a day when I play, and they aren't losend at all. The only time I have ever had a problem with it. I acctually don't know waht happened, the volume cut down to barly audible then it came right back up and hast happened again since, that was about 3 weeks after I got it. I'm still not sure if it was my amp or the pedal so I can't really say fairly if I've had an issue with it. Yes I'd probably play a gig without a back-up but then again the music I play still sounds really good without the distortion so if it cacked I'd just act like it was a bass break in the song and go and plug my bass straight into the amp.

I think that this effects machine for bass guitar is acctually really good for the price. You have 80 diferent preset sounds that you can alter from clean to totally distortated and overdriven. The alteration of the sound you can achieve from it is actually pretty amazing, I think that it's pretty easy to change the sound settings but then again other people may think differently about it. The manual was ok, but it was lacking, for someone Who hasn't been playing guitar for very long, they may have trouble with it because they may not know what certain settings will do and they may not be able to get the sound they want out of it. I think that DigiTech needs to improve there manuals so that they are more inclusive of how to change the settings and not jsut focus on safety and reliability issues.

525bass
    Typik wrote: Who wouldn't agree with that? Digital effects really do suck. It might not suck if you're a beginner and don't know quality of music, but it does suck when you know your shit.