BP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
DigiTech: BP80

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music store

I am using this with a custom Ibanez Fretless bass and BTB405QM. For amps, I use crate 25 watts at home, and Ampeg SVT-300 at practice place (School). The pedal itself is not noisy at all. It is only noisy when I use some crappy P/U bass with fuzz on at full gain, without noisegate. Even with crappy rig, most of the noise can be cleared with the noisegate. When the battery goes out the sound is pretty crappy and weak. This pedal does not add that much tone to your original bass sound, so what you have is what you get. This pedal is incapable of handling B-string. Even with a light setting on the active EQ, the low B will be distorted through this pedal. So if you are a bass player who abuses the low B a lot, this pedal isn't for you. I tried compressing, distorting, but the low B will always be fuzzy through this. Wah on this is pretty weak, and there is no by-pass for the wah feature only, so if you were using the fuzz and wah together, your basic sound will sound like the wah turned on. But it sounds pretty Cliff Burton-ish with the fuzz and wah, so maybe its a good thing.

I play some heavy stuff, two thirds metal, rest are probably jazz and funk. This pedal is good for metal with compression and disto, but for jazz and funk it does not help much. I've been playing for 2 years and I don't have any other effect pedal. Normally I just go straight to the preamp. I am pretty satisfied with this pedal for its basic functions. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy the same thing. I would save up for separate distortion pedal and Wah pedal. My favorite feature on this is whammy and compression. I love going crazy with whammy. I compared the distortion to MXR (Dunlop) M-80 Bass D. I, and compared the Wah to MXR bass Crybaby. Both MXR products excelled, but I just bought this cause I was inexperienced at the time.

Most people said this pedal is built like a tank, but it isn't. Although the main pedal has never been broken down, the expression pedal was broken once for me. I was still under warranty, so I got a free repair, but I am not really counting on this pedal to go forever. If I had to use the expression pedal feature (includes volume pedal, Wah pedal, whammy pedal, and so much more) during a gig, I would have to have a backup, because it could be broken again. Otherwise, it's pretty safe to do without backup.

Before anyone reads this, I urge you that if you are an intermediate or a pro, you should not buy this. Just go buy a disto/overdrive pedal or Wah or any other effect SEPARATELY, instead of this multi-effect. My review will focus on a beginner's view. This pedal is very, very easy to get a decent sound of itself. Within 30 minutes of first use, anyone will figure out how to manipulate different features such as fuzz, distortion, amp modeling, Wah, Whammy, Flanger, Chorus, and Compression. There is a manual for it, but it is practically useless because this pedal is sooo easy to use. there are 40 slots available for channels or whatever you call it.