BP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
DigiTech: BP80

The sound is okay, for about the first couple months. After that you start the realize that, oh shit, this doesn't do the octave doubler well at all, or oh shit, I can't get a good synth sound out of it. While I'm on the concept of the octave doubler, isn't the concept for the octave to be doubled, on pitch only 1200 cents up? Well this DigiTech can't do that at all, the octave that this played on the top is severely out of tune with the bottom octave. If your going to put an effect on a pedal you think that you would make it work or not bother putting it on there. But oh well. The fuzz is okay, on most of the presets, but on others it just makes it sound like I've blown a speaker. The only really good effects are on the Phaser, Flange and Chorus. They are consistently good. This leads me to my other complaint about this unit. They set up the compressor so that it is incredibly hard to modify. I think that most people that have used a compressor are used to having, attack, release, threshold etc controls. This unit only has crossover frequency, and frequency compressed controls. This is just plain stupid. If I only wanted one frequency compressed I would get a graphic eq pedal. I for one use my compressor for more punch, not to make one frequency more distinct. However besides this and the octave doubler the effects are cool.

For what I play this thing was a complete waste of time (setting up the presets) and money (does this need more explanation) There was a lot better ways that I could have spent 100 bucks. That being said. For someone Who like a lot of compression on one frequency, or uses fuzz a lot, or is willing to spend a shit ton of time setting it up for a modeling group, it would be a perfect match. It is small enough to haul around on a tiny little pedal board, but yet still has a huge array of sounds. So after this if you still choose to buy it, my advice is: be prepared to spend a lot of time tweaking to get the sound you want, but you might realize that it's just not there.

The reliability is good. Even though it utilizes a plastic case it seems to be some type of ABS plastic and is hard as a rock. However the layout of the pedal leaves a lot to be desired. While the buttons are easily pressed they were so worried about making the unit compact that they jammed the expression pedal so close to the base, that unless you have a size 4 foot, you end up pressing the effect changing buttons while moving the pedal. That's never good. Even though the layout sucks, it is still built, and I'm sure will long outlive me.

This unit overall is fairly easy to get good sounds out of. In fact right out of the box most of the presets are pretty good. The manual is fairly straight forward and is very helpful. One of the things that I have noticed about the manual is that the layout of the pages on how to adjust the presets is kind of hard (multiple page flips).

nikhil101
    danny mac wrote: its RP80 not BP
    the guitar version is RP80. This is the bass version hence it is called the BP80
    brazen
    I have the BP 50 and the one thing i was kinda disappointed about was it didnt have a octave switch. I wouldve loved it so much more. Overal tho, these are good bass pedals.