BP80 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 01/09/2012 category: Bass Effects
DigiTech: BP80
This modelsing processor has 11 amps models, 5 stompbox models, an expression pedal for real-time control. It also includes 19 Studio quality effects including a fretless simulator.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 8
 6.4
 7.8
 5,622
reviews (8) pictures (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
BP80 Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on october 09, 2007

Ease of Use: This unit overall is fairly easy to get good sounds out of. In fact right out of the box most of the presets are pretty good. The manual is fairly straight forward and is very helpful. One of the things that I have noticed about the manual is that the layout of the pages on how to adjust the presets is kind of hard (multiple page flips). // 8

Sound: The sound is okay, for about the first couple months. After that you start the realize that, oh shit, this doesn't do the octave doubler well at all, or oh shit, I can't get a good synth sound out of it. While I'm on the concept of the octave doubler, isn't the concept for the octave to be doubled, on pitch only 1200 cents up? Well this DigiTech can't do that at all, the octave that this played on the top is severely out of tune with the bottom octave. If your going to put an effect on a pedal you think that you would make it work or not bother putting it on there. But oh well. The fuzz is okay, on most of the presets, but on others it just makes it sound like I've blown a speaker. The only really good effects are on the Phaser, Flange and Chorus. They are consistently good. This leads me to my other complaint about this unit. They set up the compressor so that it is incredibly hard to modify. I think that most people that have used a compressor are used to having, attack, release, threshold etc controls. This unit only has crossover frequency, and frequency compressed controls. This is just plain stupid. If I only wanted one frequency compressed I would get a graphic eq pedal. I for one use my compressor for more punch, not to make one frequency more distinct. However besides this and the octave doubler the effects are cool. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The reliability is good. Even though it utilizes a plastic case it seems to be some type of ABS plastic and is hard as a rock. However the layout of the pedal leaves a lot to be desired. While the buttons are easily pressed they were so worried about making the unit compact that they jammed the expression pedal so close to the base, that unless you have a size 4 foot, you end up pressing the effect changing buttons while moving the pedal. That's never good. Even though the layout sucks, it is still built, and I'm sure will long outlive me. // 8

Overall Impression: For what I play this thing was a complete waste of time (setting up the presets) and money (does this need more explanation) There was a lot better ways that I could have spent 100 bucks. That being said. For someone Who like a lot of compression on one frequency, or uses fuzz a lot, or is willing to spend a shit ton of time setting it up for a modeling group, it would be a perfect match. It is small enough to haul around on a tiny little pedal board, but yet still has a huge array of sounds. So after this if you still choose to buy it, my advice is: be prepared to spend a lot of time tweaking to get the sound you want, but you might realize that it's just not there. // 5

BP80 Reviewed by: pbzep0670, on june 29, 2004

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get your desired sound after you know how to sift through the effects. It has 40 user presets which is good, and 40 factory presets. A few of the factory presets are good, but most kind of suck. // 8

Sound: I use mine with a Yamaha RBX775 and a Rogue RB-20B. It's not noisy at all for me. Almost all the effects are pretty strong. My biggest disappointment was the Wah. This isn't a replacement for a real Wah pedal. I was pleased that I could get reatively close to the sound of Cliff Burton, especially for the solo "Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth." I'm still trying to get Les Claypool's sound, but I don't think I can. This thing has a nice punk sound. You know, the fat sound when using a pick? The amp models are great! It has 4 or 5 different distortion stompbox models and all of them are pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems real durable to me. I'd use it without a backup. Most DigiTech stuff is real solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and I can get every sound I need out of this little processor. It's also good for punk and funk. This is the only bass effects thing I've got. I've got an old Boss ME-5 Guitar effects thing, but you can't really compare them. If it were stolen, I'd get another one or something better, like the BP200. The BP50 is the same thing as this w/o the expression pedal. Spring for the expression pedal. It's worth it. Overall, I was very satisfied with this processor. It's got alot of bang for the buck. // 8

BP80 Reviewed by: ai4281, on october 14, 2005

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music store

Ease of Use: Before anyone reads this, I urge you that if you are an intermediate or a pro, you should not buy this. Just go buy a disto/overdrive pedal or Wah or any other effect SEPARATELY, instead of this multi-effect. My review will focus on a beginner's view. This pedal is very, very easy to get a decent sound of itself. Within 30 minutes of first use, anyone will figure out how to manipulate different features such as fuzz, distortion, amp modeling, Wah, Whammy, Flanger, Chorus, and Compression. There is a manual for it, but it is practically useless because this pedal is sooo easy to use. there are 40 slots available for channels or whatever you call it. // 10

Sound: I am using this with a custom Ibanez Fretless bass and BTB405QM. For amps, I use crate 25 watts at home, and Ampeg SVT-300 at practice place (School). The pedal itself is not noisy at all. It is only noisy when I use some crappy P/U bass with fuzz on at full gain, without noisegate. Even with crappy rig, most of the noise can be cleared with the noisegate. When the battery goes out the sound is pretty crappy and weak. This pedal does not add that much tone to your original bass sound, so what you have is what you get. This pedal is incapable of handling B-string. Even with a light setting on the active EQ, the low B will be distorted through this pedal. So if you are a bass player who abuses the low B a lot, this pedal isn't for you. I tried compressing, distorting, but the low B will always be fuzzy through this. Wah on this is pretty weak, and there is no by-pass for the wah feature only, so if you were using the fuzz and wah together, your basic sound will sound like the wah turned on. But it sounds pretty Cliff Burton-ish with the fuzz and wah, so maybe its a good thing. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Most people said this pedal is built like a tank, but it isn't. Although the main pedal has never been broken down, the expression pedal was broken once for me. I was still under warranty, so I got a free repair, but I am not really counting on this pedal to go forever. If I had to use the expression pedal feature (includes volume pedal, Wah pedal, whammy pedal, and so much more) during a gig, I would have to have a backup, because it could be broken again. Otherwise, it's pretty safe to do without backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I play some heavy stuff, two thirds metal, rest are probably jazz and funk. This pedal is good for metal with compression and disto, but for jazz and funk it does not help much. I've been playing for 2 years and I don't have any other effect pedal. Normally I just go straight to the preamp. I am pretty satisfied with this pedal for its basic functions. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy the same thing. I would save up for separate distortion pedal and Wah pedal. My favorite feature on this is whammy and compression. I love going crazy with whammy. I compared the distortion to MXR (Dunlop) M-80 Bass D. I, and compared the Wah to MXR bass Crybaby. Both MXR products excelled, but I just bought this cause I was inexperienced at the time. // 6

BP80 Reviewed by: GNR_Duff_rules, on november 12, 2005

Purchased from: Elderly

Ease of Use: It is very complicated to use but has so many great effects. The comtrols are very complicated. Often I got the bottons mixed up. As long as you read the manual it is good to have. The manual can lack in spots but is overall easy to read. Overall if you read the manual it is easy to use. // 7

Sound: The sounds are great. The Wah and Whammy effects are great because all you need is a volume pedal. The SnthTalk in great and has many different sounds so it is easy to make the bass "talk." The phaser setting has many different alterations of the signal and the Pitch Shift make it sound like two guitars are playing if you add a short delay. The reverb has to be the best I've ever heard. With it I got the same sound as Mike Anthony uses in Runnin' With The Devil. I have yet to replicate Duff McKagan with it but I no doubt will. It's only real fault is if has horrible feedback! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It hass last lots of use for me. I would definitly use it without a back up. It can stand some major abuse. If you set it right it is easy to use and very dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: It's perfect for me. It is reliable, semi easy to use, and has some great effects. If the BP80 is better than the 50 than it must be awsome. The only fault other than insane feedback is that you can't use the Whammer effect at the same time as the Pitch Shift. The Pitch Shift effect, with a short delay, sounds great with the Noise Gate on. It is a greatbuy for the money. I've got rid of all my other gear for this great device. If mine was stolen I might check out the BP80 but it would be worth buying again. And anothe rplus It work with a regular guitar though you miht want a humbucker to counter the feedback. // 8

BP80 Reviewed by: Phantom_Patriot, on june 29, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal isn't exactly the easiest to figure out, but once you know how to use it, it gets pretty simple. All you need to do is read the manual that comes with it, then mess around a little until you get the hang of it. // 7

Sound: The sound of the pedal is OK, but I don't really like the effects when you only use one at a time. For example, if you just want distortion, you can't get a good sound. If you just want wah, you can't get a great sound. However, when you mix effects together, it sounds a lot better. Don't try to play a song with heavy distortion with this pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: A very sturdy pedal, I've even dropped it a few times and it still seems to be in mint condition. I would definately use it at a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, from heavy metal, to classical rock, and even some jazz, but the pedal doesn't meet all of my needs. I've been playing bass guitar for almost 3 years now, and I've used many pedals in that time. There are many other pedals that would better suit you. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would definately not replace it. I recommend using a little bit more money to buy some Boss single-effect pedals and using them together instead of using this multi-effect pedal. The one thing that I do like about it though is the drum patterns. There are many different styles and I like them a lot. But nobody is going to spend $100 to just get the drum patterns. I do not suggest getting this pedal. Like I mentioned earlier, you should buy Boss pedals if you want to get good effects. Only get this pedal if you are a beginner just looking to play your bass with funky sounds, if you are serious about trying to get good effects, do not buy this pedal. // 6

BP80 Reviewed by: Zar938, on november 13, 2007

Ease of Use: For me, this pedal was extremely easy to use, at first I just used the presets, but recently I've been needing specific tones, and it didn't take to long to figure out. the pedal is super easy to use and figure out whatever you want. Only problem is there are just so many different effects, that it's tough to remember the codes for every one of them. Now before someone says "it says it on the panel" well actually it tells you what type of effect on the panel, and then give a number and or letter to indicate exactly which effect it is. Most of the time I won't remember what R6 on the amp modeling section is, but that's where the Maual comes in. The manual is extremely easy to understand, and since the pedal itself is so easy to use, I only use it to remember which effect is which. Even better, when I lost the manual I was able to find a PDF version of it on the DigiTech Website. // 8

Sound: For someone Who isn't looking for something extremely serious, this pedal is the way to go. I would look at it as more of something you could fool around with, nothing special, but recently I've been able to get some pretty specific nice tones out of it, there are just so many to choose from. Sure the effects may not be as nice as if you pay for each separately, but if you're on a budget, and don't have a very specific pedal need, this is the way to go. That's not saying the pedal makes bad effects, in fact it makes extremely good effects for a multiproccessor, it just may not get something you're exactly looking for. The pedal is not noisy at all, especially if you use a little NoiseGate, it helps a bunch. I have been able to get all kinds of tones from this baby, from Les Claypool's fretless, to Jesse F. Keeler's crazy distortion. I wouldn't recommend this to someone Who specifically wants a wah pedal, or a specifically a fuzz, but if you're looking for something to play with while you're bored, or mess around with to get a very specific tone, this is the pedal. And according to one review the pedal couldn't handle the B string, strangely I've had no problem with this at all, maybe it was a specific setting that didn't work, or the b string was too floppy, as I have had no problem with mine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very nice pedal, I think the quality of its manufacturing is very high. If you think about it, you're literally stepping on it all day, and it has handled pretty well. The main buttons are resilient, and the expression pedal is just as tough, this is a nice pedal. I've only gigged with it once, and I was quite confident that this was all I was going to need, and it was. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a great product. I originally bought it to screw around with, and found out that it works much better for finding specific tones than most people say, but still not as good as a single pedal. One of the reasons for this is that if you have a specific pedal you can just pop it out and plug in, with this there's a chance that you won't immediately find what you're looking for, and will end up just skipping it. One of the main problems I had with it is that the majority of the presets sound the same, so there isn't very much pick up and play ability. Luckily though it has 40 programmable slots, that are easy to work with. Overall this is a nice pedal, and the best 100 dollars you could spend if you were looking for a variety of tones. // 8

BP80 Reviewed by: Lemurs4mangos, on september 22, 2008

Purchased from: Grandma's Music and Sound

Ease of Use: Well if you're like me and you don't read the manual right away and wait till you have a problem, yeah it's a little hard to use. But once you over-look the effects abbriviated names it's fairly easy to use. The Maunal really did help, it lists the abbrv. names for all the effects and what they do. I don't know the Filmwarerevision number and I have not had the Pedal upgraded. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Squier P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 15 (38W) amp. The background noise or feedback matters on what you're doing. I find if you put certian effects together it makes a heck of a lot of feedback. The pedal does have a controlable noise gate which works quite well. I don't specifically look to find the effects of certian artists but I do find that some settings sound more like the songs I'm playing than others. (I play FOB, Green Day, Metallica, AFT, My Chem., Red Jumpsuit, Simple Plan, Skillet, Sum 41, Finger Eleven, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, ect.) Most effects are great, the only complaints I have are the "octave up"s it de-tunes the note and gives it an odd tone. The Fretless sim. is okay for the price but if you desperately want the fretless tone, get a fretless bass. My favorite effects are probbally the Delay and the Distortion. Although the different reverb settings are great aswell. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd say you can depend on the thing very hevialy, just don't like throw it or drop it a whole heck of alot. I'd definately use it at a gig without a back up. I find it to always work, but it's best when plugged in instead of bettery power, the batteries tend to die quite fast. and it takes 6 AA so I'd say plug it in and you mucht want an extension cord for it aswell. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much anything execpt Country. I've been playing for about a year, self-taught. As said before I have a Squier P-Bass, and a 38W Rumble 15 amp. I play with a metal thunm-pick. I'd buy it again unless I had enough money for the BP 200. I did compare this produt to all the other pedals with only one effects each, I chose this one because 1) I liked it's tone, and 2) it's an eaiser set-up than all the individual pedals. // 8

BP80 Reviewed by: infectednations, on january 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: In all honesty, it's good. IF you read the instruction manual. I spent about a month randomly trying to find something even slightly interesting, putting loads of effects on at once. Once you read the instruction manual which takes about 5 minutes, it's pretty obvious after that. And the pedal is in a pretty bad position, I mean I end up going from wah to distorted whammy, and performing live, you look like an idiot. If someone with small feet like me still fumbles onto the next effect by accident there is a design flaw. // 7

Sound: The wah can be a bit... Crap... And that's being generous. I find you have to cover the awful wah with some more effects or just put a phaser on instead, saves you from looking like a fool. The whammy is pretty shocking too, but again, if you put something like distortion on it hides it's piss poor quality. The chorus, flanger, etc are all good quality, certainly saves you from going out and spending 50-150 on each individual pedal, not fantastic quality but definitely commendable. I definitely like the reverb. Probably because I love reverb, all the effects are easy to set up except for delay. If your trying to find a precise delay timing you'd best go find an individual pedal because the BP80's is impossible to configure. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on it. If it can hold my fat buddy standing on it I'm sure it would survive a meteor strike. It's very tough considering it's built from some weird plastic. I would and do use it on stage, saved me from buying a boost and a distortion pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: Well seeing as I play mostly funk music the weird psychedelic (is that how you spell it?) effects are kind of useless to me, although when I'm sat at home just jamming on my own it does sound pretty damn cool when you write one of those slow mellow songs by accident. I haven't really used any other multi effects pedals so I can't really comment on overall quality, I'm thinking about getting a Zoom multi-effects pedal soon though. If someone gifted me this I wouldn't be upset, it's definitely a good pedal, worth it's money. ALSO the greatest config. I found was having Hall reverb with fretless sim. And distortion. Sounds very metal, good for Cliff Burton stuff. // 8

Comments