FX25B Envelope Filter review by DOD

DOD: FX25B Envelope Filter

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

It gets a perfect '70s funk envelope sound. Looking for a Bootsy or Flea envelope? This'll do the trick up nice. Then what's the trouble, you say? DigiTech makes an envelope that costs twice as much that does this and more than five other effects (it IS called a Synth Envelope, though). This is the only area it lacks: diversity. It can get just about any pure envelope sound, but if you want more bang for your buck, the DigiTech envelope does this and a lot more. However, since it is an envelope filter and not a multi-FX pedal, I can't help but give it a 9. It is a great envelope.

I love it, it's a great envelope filter. I've been playing for almost two years, own quite a bit of equipment, several basses several guitars a lot of effects and a few amps. I love its filter. The only problem is, in retrospect, I know if I saved a little more and spent a little more time before its purchase, I could've gotten the DigiTech. The DigiTech envelope does all this does, and then provides several other effects all without messing with the bypass tone. This doesn't mess with the bypass tone, but I just feel bad that this costs $40 and for $80 I could've gotten this and 5 or so other effects. At that, it still a great pedal for what it does; and if you don't want a synth effect, don't even think about opting for the DigiTech: just goe with this baby. However, I wanted a synth later on, and had no idea the DigiTech would provide a great envelope, a great synth, and more. With this, if it were stolen, I would save up and replace it with the DigiTech. However, I still love my DOD FX25B Envelope Filter. And I do recommend it to those looking for a great funk envelope.

It's very reliable. Chews through batteries fairly quickly, but so does every other pedal in existance known to man. I would gig it without a backup, I'd just take a pack of 9V with me so I know if any of my effects run dry, I'm still good to go. It's very dependable, and I may have even dropped it a few times and its still going strong and shows no hint of wear, use, or destruction.

It's very easy to get a good sound out of this baby. The booklet comes with a few default setups, most of which are handy. It's very easy to customize and understand each little knobs purpose. There is a manual, it doesn't tell you much but it didn't need much.