FX25B Envelope Filter review by DOD

DOD: FX25B Envelope Filter

Purchased from: eBay

I play this through a Squier Jazz Bass through a Vox Pathfinder 10W bass amp. I also put a Boss ODB-3 and a Boss GEB-7 in my chain. This stompbox does not add any noise to your signal. The effect itself is incredibly funky. However, there is a slight volume drop and a slight drop in low end(more prominent if used with a guitar). But the effect in itself is so awesome that you really wouldn't be put off by those drawbacks. I use my GEB-7 along with the FX25B to boost my lows and volume lost due to the filter. Also I've noticed that this pedal works great with gain. It sounds a lot fuller and thicker. I've found the sweet spot to be at 11 o' clock on the Drive knob on my amp. If you're looking for those old-school 70s envelope filter sound or the Bootsy Collins or Flea sound and don't want to spend over $300 on a Mutron, this is the pedal to get.

I play funk, rock, funk-rock/funk metal, blues and punk rock. You won't see bassists use this effect much outside funk and rock genres. I've never used it in my blues-rock band. However, you can use it whichever way you like it. With the right settings it can give you a great dub sound which would actually fit perfectly in a blues bassline. I've been playing for a year and a half and this is my most frequently used effect. DOD pedals are cheap and IMO will soon start becoming collectibles so I'm definitely NEVER selling mine. However, if I ever lose this, I'll probably buy a MXR Bass Envelope Filter as it doesn't have any volume/low-end loss and is more tweakable. For my needs this is versatile enough but this is no DigiTech Synth Wah. And I'm glad because the filter sounds on the DOD are a LOT more organic. If you want a great filter sound under $50 and can live with it's minor drawbacks, get this pedal.

This pedal had seen TEN years of usage before I bought it, and even now it works great. It's built better than my Boss ODB-3 (and you know how well Boss pedals are built.) It's even heavier. A lot of people have complained about the DOD stomp Switch but I haven't had a problem with that yet even after being stomped on for 10 years! It seems to have a good battery life as well. I would definitely gig without a backup. However, NEVER and I mean NEVER use a non-DOD adapter with it. If you can't find one, then use batteries but don't use just any adapter. I learned this the hard way.

Mine is a 1997 sparkle green(3 knobs) version. I bought it used 6 months ago. It's very easy to get nice funky sounds out of it. The knobs are wisely labeled. And if you find it hard to get good settings the manual, which is simply written has some preset settings to get you off.