105Q Crybaby Bass review by Dunlop

Dunlop: 105Q Crybaby Bass

Purchased from: Ebay

I use the wah with my Peavey Foundation 5, running into a Crate BT50. I don't the pedal to be noisy at all. To me the wah always sounds good, except when the 'Q' is turned all the way up or down the sweep gets a bit extreme. Coupled with the distortion from my amp it sounds great too. None of my favorite artists use the wah, as far as I know, but a lot of famous bassists such as Flea and the guy from Audioslave use it. I must say that the sound when running through a adaptor or on low battery is not as good, but still acceptable. One slightly annoying feature is the half second delay on the automatic off switch. This means your sound becomes very bassy for that half second before returning to normal. However it isn't really that noticeable, especially in a full band situation. If it really gets on your nerves there are plenty of guides on the internet to tell you how to 'fix' it (Harmony-Central reviews section has one of these).

I play rock, punk and ska from The Clash, through Hepcat to The Who and the odd bit of RHCP's. Especially for the funkier songs it sounds really great, but it can equaly be used more subtly on rock songs. The trebly open sound is great for ska too. I have been playing about 3 years and own, my Peavey Foundation 5, Crate BT50, Tanglewood 3FH and a fretless Jazz stlye bass, made from Ebay parts. If it were stolen, I would maybe buy it again as I really like the sound, however I would probably shop around at some other bass effects too. I love the sound and versatility of the pedal but th ehalf second dealy on turning off is annoying. I didn't really compare this to many other products, a few Boss bass pedals, but no ther wah's.

I have used it on a gig without backup and it worked fine. I have had the wah a couple of months and it hasn't let me down. It seems like it should last.

It is really easy to get a good sound out of the CryBaby, just rock your foot back and forth! There are a couple of things you can change too. The 'Q' control allows you to change the sweep of the wah, from all the way to extreme trebleness to keeping it real bassy. I find however I nearly always have the 'Q' control turned up at least three quarters of the way. The other control is a Volume knob that can give a volume boost, or make your bass quieter for soft wah parts. I generally have this so the volume stays pretty level, with maybe a small boost. The manual is quite good, it explains the 'Q' and volume controls, and gives a couple of ideas of how to use the wah effectively.