105Q Crybaby Bass review by Dunlop

Dunlop: 105Q Crybaby Bass

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I mainly use this effect with either a Squire Affinity P-Bass, or a Dean Quilted 6-String bass. The usual amp I use it through is a Behringer BX1200. As far as it being noisy goes, it can be easily adjusted with the volume knob, but as far as contributing to 'amp noise', it doesn't. The effects always sound great, but they usually work better with the Wah knob turned up more, so they can work on the lower notes. I never really tried to get any specific artists sound, but it sounds great when I use it for Metallica's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' it sounds just like Cliff Burton's Wah! By far, it is the best Bass Wah I've ever used! However, I don't recommend trying to combine it with any other effects, except maybe a mild distortion, especially not Synth!

I mostly use it to play rock, and it works fine. If you're looking for a real 'funk' type wah, I'd say get a different one, like the Bootsy-Collins model. In addition to this pedal, I've used a few Boss pedals, a few basses and a couple amps in the 2-3 years I've been playing. I only wish I had played it before I bought it, so I could have compared it more directly to other ones I played. I think if it were to be misplaced, I'd buy another one. Probably not immediately, as I can use a multi-effects pedal for an emergency, but I'd definitely buy it again. The only thing I don't like is the lack of other knobs, having only two makes it seem too easy, and being able to adjust the shape further would be a great help. I only could really compare it to the various wahs on my DigiTech BP200, and it blew them all away. So, overall, I'd recommend this to anyone with an extra $100, or someone looking for a good pedal for the money.

I'd say that this is a pretty dependable product. I don't think the battery life is very long though, so I mainly use a OneSpot with a daisy chain for it and my other effects. In a gig, I'd probably use it without a backup (I'm not made of money) but I'd definitely bring a lot of extra batteries for it, depending on how long the gig is.

Using the Bass Crybaby is pretty easy, and having only two knobs makes it even easier! The first knob is a volume knob, and you find out quickly within playing with it how much to turn it if you want to increase or decrease the initial volume. The other knob, which adjusts the wah itself works in a similar fashion. Turn it a lot if you want a floor-shaking effect, or a little for a subtle sound. The manual does a great job of explaining the already easy to understand instructions in case you don't understand something. As far as I know, my unit has not been upgraded by anymeans, nor are there editing patches.

Ultimate_Gio92
    ugh more slipknot bashing, the guy asked a simple question whether or not it would be good for playing slipknot, he didnt wanna hear and fags bashing slipknot. keep your opinions to yourself untill youre asked for them
    zakduarte
    people = shit! gotta love slipknot. They have a bassist?i thought they just had sixty guitarists...
    Ca1am1ty
    im getting one for christmas lol,cant wait to get it,i tried one out in the shop,its pretty sweet
    c_isher
    To clear up Timmy's rig, he uses three amps. One completely clean, one with heavy distortion, the other overdrive. He uses two 105Q's through the overdrive and distortion pedals and a Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal before that, after his Delay. So techincally, he has three wahs, the two Crybaby's attached together with a board to use at the same time. Just to clear it up. And in Rage, he used a clean channel and one with a Marshall Guv'Ner Overdrive pedal, a GCB-100 bass wah going through it.
    chippy_666
    i have it, the only problem i have is that, when i have my distortion on, i need to turn Q down, yet with distortion off i dont feel that i get enough wah on that setting, can be anoying
    525bass
    Vampire 255 wrote: would this pedal be any good for metallica like stuff?
    I play quite a bit of metallica (as in the old stuff with cliff) and I find that this pedal doesn't have quite enough effect on the sound. I found that a partial fix is to crank the gain on your overdrive. But if you're looking for that anesthesia-type wah sound, go with a morley.
    Robb987123Bass
    Sadly, about a year after my review of this product, it died due to a friend of mine using it in his garage and leaving it there during a snowstorm and the cold seems to have killed it. I'm going to have the PCB looked at and if I can't solve it, maybe just buy another one.