MXR M181 Bass Blowtorch review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR M181 Bass Blowtorch

Purchased from: Chandler Guitars

I use a Westfield B1000 (I hate it), and a Marshall MB15. When testing in store I used an original American built Fender Jazz Bass and a Marshall MB60, which sounded fantastic, but my home setup still sounds great. No, it makes no noise at all, on every setting there absolutly no noise; it is amazing! The only way that you don't get any difference is when you have the volume knob on zero. Also when the Blend knob is on zero then there is no diference in sound. Apart from that, the effects are amazingly strong. By turning up the treble I get a perfect replica of Muses Hysteria, and fiddling about with the various setings you can get almost any Muse song.

I play music by Muse and music which is similar to it; Radiohead and also a few classics; Oasis and AC/DC. I have been playing bass since Xmas. This is my first pedal and I don't think I will be going out to buy another for a long time. I asked all I wanted and how much voltage (18v), sizes (can't remember off the top of my head). Is there is anything you would like to ask, I would advise asking at your local dealership or going to the Dunlop website. If it were stolen, then I would personally find the person Who took it and kill them, it is that important to me. I would hopefully never loose it as I rarely let it out of my bedroom or out of my site. I would however, save up and go and buy another straight away. I love the way by simply twisting a knob, the sound changes drastically. I specially like the bass. I haven't yet found anything about it to hate, it is all so great! My favourite feature is the 'Torch' button, it goes from fuzz to extreme. I would have liked to compare it to the Zvex Woolly Mammoth, but the shop I went to stopped stocking them after Zvex were unreliable in delivering the products. I love it just the way it is. As I have said before, I love it! It is perfect!

I would say that I can depend on it, it has a super hard coasing made of Zinc, which repels most of the damage I have already tried to do to it; dropping it off my desk, letting go of the bag it was in and more. I think it is very reliable and I know it is very Durable.

It is very hard to get a bad sound out of the Blowtorch. There are lots of knobs and switches which do look abit confusing, but after a few minutes of being with the blowtorch you don't care and just want to play. I do not think it is possible to modify the blowtorch as the allan keys are of a dimension I do not have (something between 2.5 and 3). The manual is simplistic, but tells you what everything does, which does really help. It comes with several adverts for other Dunlop products, but they just live at the bottom of the box. It is a joy to use.

CapnKickass
    on the website they have the suggested retail prices that are like $200 and $300, the actual retailers I guess are nicer with the prices though.
    Sprogy
    Yeh, I posted the review and it changed it from 135 to $300 - wasn't meant to happen. I would have signde in to post the review, but couldn't because I was at school, it is a very nice thing to play. To wrongsta - well tell what dimension is in between 2.5 and 3 and I will try it out!!!
    wongsta
    "the allan keys are of a dimension I do not have (something between 2.5 and 3" OMG THE 2.5-3 DIMENSION