OctaBass Review

manufacturer: EBS date: 03/22/2013 category: Bass Effects
EBS: OctaBass
This pedal has a great octave effect. It adds a very clear octave beneath the one you're playing, and sounds especially good when playing notes higher up the neck.
 Ease of Use: 10
 4.9
 9.8
 3,651
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
OctaBass Reviewed by: ToddJames, on march 22, 2013

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal is the easier to use than any other I've owned. It has only two controls, normal and octave, which as you might expect control the output of the original signal, and the output of the octave effect. That means that you can turn down the original signal all the way down, and have only the octave sound coming out, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having an octave pedal... It also has a 'range' switch, which slightly alters the sound from a more natural effect, to a more synth like sound. I bought it second hand so I don't know if came with a manual but you don't need it because it's so simple. // 10

Sound: This pedal has a great octave effect. I tried a lot of octave pedals before I finally decided to add this one to my collection, more so than any other effect. It adds a very clear octave beneath the one you're playing, and sounds especially good when playing notes higher up the neck. It cuts out a little bit when playing the lowest few frets on the E string, but when playing with an octave effect on you tend not to go that low anyway. I've never needed to. The only negative thing I could say about this pedal is that the three different settings available with the range switch are quite similar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very sturdy. It's made from solid metal, with a metal foot switch, so you can stamp on it as hard as you want to and it won't cause any damage. Additionally, the two controls are set into the face of the pedal, so they are very difficult to touch either with your foot, or with anything else when moving the pedal around in a bag or whatever. It also works very well, I've never had any problems with the effect not coming on when it's supposed to or the effect cutting out. It's always been completely reliable, and I would use it without a backup and without worrying about it. // 10

Overall Impression: Almost perfect 10's all the way, but I can't give this pedal a completely perfect score. There are a few frets (less than 5 on my entire bass) that this pedal simply won't pick up. I can't tell why, because it will pick up the same pitch played in a different position or on a different string. But that really is the only downside to this pedal. It sounds great when playing funk bass lines, and also when trying to emulate electronic bass parts. It's hands down the best pedal I own or have ever owned, and would recommend it to anybody looking for an octave effect to add to their collection. Video from YouTube:

// 9