Bass Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Bass Big Muff Pi

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: The Rock Inn

I use this pedal with my Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 4, and into a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. Just about any sound you can get from this unit will sound good. If you're not used to using a fuzz/distortion pedal then you will need to be careful, as feedback, etc. now become a problem for you. I find that this unit can be quite loud, great if you need it, I usually have the volume on about 2-4. The only artist that springs to mind that uses this kind of effect is Christopher Wolstenholme (thank you Wikipedia), the bassist in Muse. It is really easy to get the same sound as in the 'Hysteria' intro. The Bass Boost is only good in certain circumstances. It keeps the low end of your sound intact. This means that certain pieces of music, like the previously mentioned 'Hysteria', can sound incredibly muddy and noisy. Turning this Switch off can clean up that sound, making it tighter, sounding better for more intricate parts.

I play a lot of things, mostly more alternative stuff, and this is a great pedal for that sort of thing. I've been playing for a few years now, and this is the first effect pedal I have purchased. I am glad to say that I do not regret buying this pedal at all. I had a slight problem with trying to obtain one, as all the stores in my area were sold out of this pedal, I had to get one ordered in. The standard Big Muff Pi is much more popular. I love most of all the fact that this pedal is easy to get a good sound out of, without too much fiddling. The thing that really annoys me about ti is having to unplug it when nit in use, to avoid draining the battery.

The unit's construction is very sturdy, it looks like I could Drive my car over it and it would come out smiling. I would use it at a performance without a backup, I would change the battery beforehand, however, just in case. The little Switch that changes between Bass Boost and the normal function looks a little fragile, and I am constantly afraid of breaking it off when using the switch.

Simplicity is this great green pedal's finest point. Plug and play, without too much fiddling to get a great sound. The basic design is quite similar to the standard Big Muff Pi, the only difference being that this pedal has a 'Bass Boost' function(more on that later). 3 pots, Volume, Tone and Sustain. The manual for this pedal is quite underwhelming, one page back and front. It does, however, explain everything you need to know in that one page.

Mopy
    You can easily avoid having to unplug it while not in use... It's called a power supply.
    JD2k9
    I got it this morning. Only tried it on guitar, but it sound brilliant through the Fender Twin channel on a Vypyr. You seriously paid $200 for this? That's like 130. I got mine for 50!
    Shaggy076
    Christopher Wolstenholme? really? that's who you named? what about the greatest bassist ever, CLIFF BURTON!
    Cookie_Dog
    This is a great pedal, it's like an easier to use Sovtek Big Muff. Easier to use as in the non-reversed input/output jacks & an AC power option.
    Like I Is
    EpiExplorer wrote: The name is a great pun. mmm, Muff pie..
    Yeah, hilarious. I love this pedal. Fuzz bass is underrated.
    Funk-E-Munk
    play this through a guitar also sounds freakin sweet, but some massive stoner rock tones from it
    nirvana9494
    Electro Harmonix pedals are great for bass distortion...ididn't purcahse this peadl, but Electro Harmonix are great pedals...
    Argentos
    Like I Is wrote: I love this pedal. Fuzz bass is underrated.
    Too right. Such a great sound.