Bass Blogger review by Electro-Harmonix

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Electro-Harmonix: Bass Blogger

Price paid: A$ 330

Purchased from: Local Store

I am running this pedal through a cheap Fender P Bass into a 15 watt Fender Rumble bass amp. Obviously, due to this, the sound quality I am getting is inferior to someone with better equipment. This pedal is slightly noisy, especially with the 'tone' dial towards the treble end of the scale. For recording this may be a problem but for live gigs it presents no real problem. The distortion is very versatile, you can get an over the top Black Metal Drive and a subtle dirty rock and roll edge from this pedal. Just be careful of the 'fuzz/distoriton' switch. The fuzz is not actually a warm fuzz (as I was hoping), you won't sound like Muse with this pedal, but rather a change in tone of the distortion. There are limitations to the sound you can get from this pedal, but what it can do it does quite well.

To be honest, this pedal was a bit of a mistake on my behalf. Why I decided to buy a distortion pedal during a period where most of what I listened to was Bob Marley I shall never know. My band plays music that doesn't really require bass distortion so as a consequence I don't think I will be using this pedal for much other than noodling around alone. For that it is perfectly fine. I only really regret not taking the time to work out the difference between the 'fuzz/drive' Switch first, as I bought if partially under the impression that I would sound like Muse. For what it is it is very expensive, but here in Australia most gear is. I think next time I will be more careful in looking for a pedal, making sure it mathces what I need rather than what I want. Overall, it is a decent pedal but overpriced for what it is. If you can get it cheaper (and have more need of it than I do) I would recommend it, but if you're like me and just want something for private use I would say keep looking.

This has been, so far, a reliable pedal. It is solidly built, doesn't rattle when you shake it and could probably withstand heavy boots crushing down on the bypass switch. My only concern is that the 'fuzz/drive' Switch is located close to the bypass switch, presenting the possibility of breaking the small switch. If you are carefull this shouldn't happen, but in a live setting this (to me) presents a serious concern.

This is a very simple pedal to use. It has three dials, 'volume' 'tone' and 'drive', each of them fairly self explanatory. They each respond how you would expect making it very easy to change the tone and style of the distortion. The 'fuzz/drive' Switch is a bit deceiving (see the sound section below) but once you work out how it functions it is very easy to use this to get the sort of distortion you would like. The manual is actually useless, but only due to the fact that it takes so little time to work out this pedal.

chy_qn
    'Noisy'... what else did you expect from a low-rank distortion/fuzz? It's like it has 'noisy' in it's name. And man, what can you really hear on a 15 watt thang? Besides that, I fully agree with the rest of the review.
    zerkein
    The guy from Muse uses a Big Muff Pi for bass, that's why you won't get his tone out of that pedal (:
    Prodigal ant
    The guy from Muse actually uses a Wolly Mammoth.. He probably has hte muff aswell, though.