Bass Metaphors review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Bass Metaphors

I use this with an Ampeg combo and a BBE Sonic Stomp right after the pedal. The compression really sucks away the tone totally, and without the BBE Sonic Stomp, the sound is pretty much dead and toneless. I highly recommend having this pedal first in your rig and a sonic stomp after this pedal to revive the tone that it sucked away. But it compresses good and does it's job. You can also blend the compressed signal with the dry signal to get some tone back too by turning the "dry" knob up to match the compression knob. The distortion really is not very strong, unless you're playing loud with the knob turned all the way up, but it still isn't that strong. I mainly use the distortion as a boost effect, because it gives it a sharper, louder sound when you step on the Switch. If you want true, fiery overdrive, I recommend getting another pedal, like the Boss ODB-3. The EQ is pretty good and sounds decent, but there's definitely not very much you can do with only two knobs. The only thing that I really wish this pedal had was a mid knob so you can contour and scoop the tone.

I play all types of music and this pedal is good for all of them, except heavy distortion metal. Boss ODB-3 is perfect for that. I've been playing for 2 years and have had a few gigs, and I also own an ODB-3, BBE Sonic Stomp, and an EBS MultiComp. I love this pedal because there's so many things packed into one pedal, so it's easy to set up, but I really wish that the compression didn't kill the tone and there was a mid knob in the EQ. I hiiiiiighly recommend this to musicians Who are short on money and need decent effects, pre amp, and DI. If you have money to spend, DON'T get this pedal; get separate pedals for each individual effect, because the effects on this pedal aren't that great. Boss ODB-3, EBS MultiComp, and Boss GEB-7 EQ would all be pretty good, but cost around 350 to buy them all, and plus you need cables to connect them, power, etc. If I lost this pedal, depending on my situation, if I happen to be short on money, I would mos def buy this pedal again, but if I happened to have some money, I would get separate pedals instead.

This pedal is made of metal, and is monstrously huge. I've dropped this pedal a few times, and kicked it, and it's still good as new. I would gig with this pedal without a backup tomorrow, next week, next month, next century and I would have No Doubt that I could rely on it.

I bought this pedal in October of '08. This pedal is so easy to learn how to use. You can just look at it and you will automatically know how to use it. The only thing weird about it is the compression. There's no actual knob for compression level or anything. It's just a "volume" knob. But actually, the volume knob is basically a volume and compression knob in one. That took me like a a few days to figure it out. Besides that, I figured out everything else really easily. One knob and Switch for distortion. Easy as that. The bypass Switch acts as a Switch for the preamp and everything else besides distortion. Easy enough. It comes with a good manual that will explain everything too.