BassBalls (Made In Russia) Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 10/31/2006 category: Bass Effects
Electro-Harmonix: BassBalls (Made In Russia)
One of the most sought-after units in the Electro-Harmonix line, the Bassballs' twin dynamic filters track picking dynamics at slightly different frequencies, creating shifting peaks and notches that simulate human speech! Distortion mode further emphasizes vowel-like overtones and dynamic responsiveness, making Bassballs the ideal accessory for bass or guitar.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.3
 9.5
 9.1
 3,361
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
BassBalls (Made In Russia) Reviewed by: boogs420, on october 31, 2006

Ease of Use: The Russian-made bassballs pedal is very simple and easy to use right out of the box. the pedal has only one knob and one switch; the switch turns the on-board distortion on and off, and the knob is a sensitivity control. The tone is pretty basic but very unique. Some people may call this an auto wah but it is actually an envelope filter. I traded a strat tremolo bar for this(I know it was a steal, but this guy really wanted the bar). I didn't get a manual with this but that would not have been any help to me at all. // 10

Sound: With this pedal I can get things like the primus version of n.I.b. and sound like Flea on sir Sexy Pyscho. I'm using this with my Cort B5 and Fender Rumble/GK115BC. On both amps this pedal sounds great. I sometimes run my mexi strat through it to my brothers B-52 tube stack. This setup is also great. If I turn the sensitivity knob all the way down it mutes all signal running to the amp. With and without the distortion this pedal sounds great and original. // 10

Reliability & Durability: One of the reasons I got this pedal for such a great deal is because the jacks were broken and the 9v cord was ripped in two. The input and output jacks are both plastic and don't seem very sturdy. However, I fixed this problem with two spare jacks I had laying around and I bought some "heavy duty" 9v cords from radio shack. I probably wouldn't gig without a backup just because I don't have an AC-adapter for it and would be too scared to use it without one. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of different types of music but this pedal suits funk very well. I would like to compare this to the american one seeing as how at the moment both versions are $80. I really like this pedal with and without distortion. If I turn off the distortion and plug my big muff in to it I get some really sick tones out of it. All in all I've been very happy with this pedal. I would recommend trying this pedal out for yourself. // 10

Comments