Big Muff Pi (Made In USA) review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi (Made In USA)

Purchased from: Ital Melodie

You can't get everything from a Muse-like fuzz to harsh grunge metal. It does sound vintage, which is why I like it so much. I use it in covers such as NIB. from Black Sabbath, any Motorhead or just to add some dirtyness to my own compositions. Use to play through a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive but I like the Muff way better. It's got a "rounder" sound compared to the razor-like ODB-3. I play on a Warwick Rock Bass 5 strings Streamer and an Eden Nemesis 200 watts combo amp. It also sound great through a guitar (actualy it was first design for guitar) as my brother loves to steal it.

I've been playing for a year and a half or so now and as you might have noticed, I love anything that's linked to vintage heavy rock. This pedal is a perfect match as it first appeared during this golden era. If anything happen to my Muff, I would run to the store to replace it. The only thing I don't like of it is that there is no way to totally cut the fuzz (sustain) in order to get a "natural" overdrive. But that's all right. I love my Muff the way it is.

This thing is build like a tank. It's bulky, it's vintage and it looks like it could survive a nuclear war. I don't rely on batteries (I prefer plugging an adaptator).

One volume, one tone and one sustain/distortion knobs. It doesn't get any simplier. The on/off switch is can kind of less accessible than a regular pedal but you get use to it in the end. The manual is as minimalistic as the pedal it self but who cares, you don't need a company to tell you how your bass should sound.