Big Muff Pi (Made In USA) review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi (Made In USA)

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

It's no Zvex Woolly Mammoth, but the sound is great(considering it's a quarter of the price), it adds a nice low end boost to your sound as well as creating a very good fuzz. I'm using mine with an Ibanez BTB200 and Laney R2 and don't find the pedal noisy at all, I'm guessing this is because. Although it takes some time finding the right mix of all three settings I've managed to find a sound similar to the bass sound on Hysteria by Muse which I'm more than happy with.

I play hard rock in my band and it seems to fit in well during breakdowns and intros. As mentioned before I play with an Ibanez BTB200 through Laney R2 and it suits the set-up perfectly. My favourite thing about this pedal is the fact its quite compact and light (compared to the Big Muff which you could brick windows with which I was originally intending to buy until I saw the size of it). If this pedal were lost or stolen I'd probably buy another one mainly because of the consistently good fuzz you get out of it and the compact design.

Not had it for very long but as its made of metal I'm guessing it's solid enough, I'd rely on it at a gig without a backup. Can't forsee any problems with it, but if anything did happen it's covered with a free 1 year warranty so I'd just get it replaced or repaired. Gave it a 5 due to not really owning it for long enough for anything to go wrong, 5 seemed a suitable neutral rating.

This pedal produces a great fuzz pretty much all of the time and it's probably harder to get a bad sound out of it than a good one. There isn't a manual in the box but the pedal is so simple their isn't really need for one. Their are three controls, Sustain, which controls the length of notes played, Tone, which controls the bass and treble in the signal and Volume, which controls the output of the pedal volume wise. There is also a standard 9v power supply input at the top of the pedal so there is no need for expensive batteries if you own a 9v supply. Basically quite a simple pedal to use.

FBS2005
    big muff is the best. I play a Peavey T-40 with a Marshall amp on a big muff
    fanny whacker
    It is sturdy stomping wise when playing but i dropped mine (from a low height). It messed with the sustain and volume knobs and eventually completley cut out.
    LD1992
    THE PEDAL WAS USED BY HENDRIX!!!! ELECTRO HARMONIX GOT HENDRIX TO TEST THE PEDAL BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, IN FACT HE SAID THAT HE WOULD USE IT ON HIS NEXT ALBUM, UNFORTNUATLY HE DIED BEFORE THE ALBUM WAS RELEASED.
    ersatz
    say goodbye to low end with this thing, get a russian version and modify it, if you want low end
    SnowDog1993
    muzikman 404
    SnowDog1993 wrote: big muffs are to big for my pedal board i can get 2 distortion/overdrive pedals and it make the same sound AND IT BE SMALLER!!
    they have a smaller version of the big muff called the little big muff. same thing as the original, just smaller
    Wrath_Bass
    im currently looking for a new pedal for that distortion and fuzz sound and ive heard that the big muff is quite good however i play in a rock band that does many different covers and im wondering if the Big Muff would do the job? p.s i play alot of muse
    flea_is_my_god
    chris uses a russian big muff, and is used alongside a boss in hysteria. for time is running out, he used an akai deep impact pedal and fuzz from an amp head alongside his big muff
    GoWithTheFlow
    i bought this pedal just because i had some cash leftover from christmas.. i did not know what i was in for. when i started playing it i nearly shat myself.