Big Muff Pi (Made In USA) review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi (Made In USA)

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

Delicious sound. It's noisy when you want it to be-- all the knobs you're given affects the volume in some way. I can play the thing on low, low volume (when practicing) with virtually no compromise in sound. Effects always sound great, except maybe if you've got the tone knob all the way down to 0. Even then, that's a stylistic preference. This pedal can get you everything from heavy metal, to punk, to grunge, to a QOTSA-type sound, to a White Sripes vibe (play Ball & a Biscuit with this thing-- it's like cake), to a Radiohead sound, to just a seriously Killer solo boost.

I dig on fuzz. I dig on blues especially. I dig on punk. I dig on weird Indie. I dig on the classics hardcore. This pedal gives it all to me. I plug this thing in through a Boss OS-2 (sounds great when both are on), with a Grestch hollow body (Tennessee Reissue). My amp's a Vox Celestion-- Killer tube amp. I use my clean chanel (which still has some mud to it). The sound is like butter. If this thing were stolen or lost, I'd absolutely replace it. I only wish it came with an adapter.

Durability? I wouldn't stomp down on the thing TOO hard, but this is one solid pedal. I'd gig without a backup (primarily cause I can't afford one), but I'm in no way shape or form worried about it's condition/ability to withstand some serious wear and tear.

This thing is incredibly easy to use. The manual doesn't say too much and it doesn't have to: the three knobs are self-explanitory. The volume knob controls your overall volume. The tone knob is glorious. Low-end tone will get you a muffled, feedbacking, Jesus & Mary Chain sort of effect-- like you're playing underwater. If you crank the tone, you get something that sounds like an attack dog, with little bass. Both extremes are friggin delightful, and somewhere in the 2-4 o'clock range the sound is just pure guitar nectar. The sustain knob controls the level of distortion and overall sustain. The sustain is brilliant. I'm surprised at how clear, crisp, and un-sullied single notes sound. Strum a power chord? Fat noise and static. Hit the high E? It's as clear as an infinite whistle, undisturbed by any background noise. Tasty.

Josh100
    No matter what other pedal you buy, you can't really replicate the sound of the Big Muff. You can get those crappy Boss fuzz pedals but they are nothing compared to this legendary pedal.