Sub-Lime Bass Fuzz Pedal Review

review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Sub-Lime Bass Fuzz Pedal Reviewed by: Zeb-nissen, on april 19, 2011

Price paid: € 141

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: Very good pedal, easy to use and most importantly good sounds come out of it. Great response from the knobs, even small tweaks make a noticable change in the sound of the pedal. The manual was in my oppinion a bit wague in terms of what the X-over freq tuner on the bottom side of the pedal does and I'm still not quite Shure what it does :D something about which freq's the pedal fuzz'es so that you can get the exact kinda fuzz you want. again the manual wasen't all to clear on this. Other than that the issue with the OD/Fuzz Tone and the X-over Freq which are placed on the bottom of the pedal are no problem as long as you are sure of what your sound should be like. although not all may have a small screwdriver at hand to turn the bottom knobs. The side knobs for volume boost and Drive Intensity/blend are also very good allthough they are a bit uncommonly placed on the side but hey, most things about this pedal is uncommon. The Big 'Ol wheel with the fancy light effects is easy to use just be careful not to get too much dirt in the pedal cause this makes the wheel a bit harder to turn. // 7

Sound: I'm using the Sub-Lime through a Orange PIX 100BXT bass combo with my Gibson SG Standard Bass, I've also used it with a Epiphone Thunderbird and various Ashdown Amp's. The sound og the Sub-lime is very varied depending on the settings but what sums it up best is that it's Bassy, I've had several fuzz pedals including the EHX bass Big Muff and what I did'nt like about those was the lack of low end but the sub-lime makes up for that since it adds extra low end when you kick it into action and the sub-lime's prime feature is the Glowing Fuzz-tone ring. With the ring all the way to the Left it glows Green and only adds low end to your signal. at noon the fuzz is activated this is about here my fav setting is with the OD/Tone at full on the buttom. The Drive knob on the Right side almost all the way up. And the Fuzz wheel a bit over noon. You get a nice Fuzzy Growl with good low end from the pedal. It most of all sounds like a big Fuzzed out Bulldozer thundering on. All the way the the right hell is unleashed and the fuzz turns into a grinding fuzz that cuts like a blowtorch and a bit of low end is lost but the amount of eardrums blown makes up for it. If you like the Stoner Rock this is a perfect pedal for that kinda stoner, doom, 70's inspired stuff, if you want a pedal for Muse and modern like Fuzz I would recommed getting the big muff instead because it's a totally different fuzz and the sub-lime is more a Rock'n'Roll Fuzz pedal in my opinion. Also the pedal is not noisy and does not hum when not playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had the Sub-lime for a year now and it hasen't failed me severely yet, I use 9V batteries in all my pedals and the Sub-lime eats em like a muscle Car chugs gasoline so if you're not into rechargable 9V's and unplugging pedals after use I'd recommend using a power adapter :D The size og the pedal might be a problem if you want to put it on a pedal board or train, since its size is somewhat a problem and it is bigger than most volume and Wah-wah pedals. (extra note: The Fender Volume Pedal is even bigger than the Sub-lime Fuzz pedal) The pedal body is a Metal/steel housing and is very durabel the fuzz wheel is made of textured rubber which makes it easier to turn, and I think this is the only part of the pedal that is most likely to break. Allthough my general assumption is that this pedal is more likely to brake you before you brake it. It's big green and heavy like the muscle car's it draws it's inspiration from. But I don't hope it rusts like one. We will have to see in a couple of years if that's the case. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in bands where we play Metal Punk and Rock'&'Roll music and the Sub-lime suits all styles if you use the right settings. I'm thinking of getting a backup just in case it dies on me someday and if it were stolen I'd replace it immediatly., since I carry it along in a bag with my other pedals the size and weight of it sometimes becomes a pain. I love the look and style of the pedal and wished Fender wuld make more Bass and Guitar pedals like this. I tried a lot of fuzz pedals but fell in love with this one because it is as big and obnoxious as it is, and the sound it makes was exacltly what is was looking for. It's a pedal thats meant to be seen and heard. I'm a big gearhead myself with a heart for old Bikes and Muscle-cars so the Sub-lime was a case of love at first sight for me <3 If you're not totally sure if you can live with the size and the knob placement on the pedal don't get it. Buy a big muff and it wont let you down. But if you're like me and want a "less is more" pedal board the Sub-lime will undoubtely satisfy your needs. To sum it up the Sub-lime is a pricey pedal and it's mostly the Fender name and the looks and size you pay for since I think they could have easily made a smaller version of the Sub-lime. But the Sub-lime is a reliable Beast that wont let you down, as is sure to make you heard. Get your Fuzz on! // 8

Comments