PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive review by Ibanez

Ibanez: PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive

This is probably one of the best OD/Distortion pedals I've ever used for bass. Because of all the tone controls mentioned above, you can get a pretty wide variety of sounds. The knobs are pretty self explanatory, but the switches could probably use some explaining. First, the "attack" switch. The manual says it can add no, some, or lots of overtones. I really haven't been able to decide if that's what it's really doing or not. It actually seems to soften the sound sometimes, I think it's connected to a noise gate. The "mode" switch can offer Clean, OD, or Dist. The clean option gives a two band EQ, volume boost, and the attack switch. I never use this, it isn't at all what I got it for. OD is an overdrive. I use this the most. Dist is distortion. It can get very heavy and act like a fuzz if turned up enough. Generally speaking, this unit isn't very noisy, especially when compared to other ODs, such as the Boss. It can get noisy if you turn up the hi and drive knobs, but in my opinion it sounds best with the hi turned down a little anyway. In that case, it really isn't too bad. I run an Ibanez EDC705 into a SWR Workingman's 15 with PD7>Crybaby Bass>Boss Bass Chorus through the effect loop with about a 1:1 wet:dry ratio. Mixing in some dry signal sound very nice with this pedal, keeping the tone and defintion of your original sound, with the crunch of a distortion. The PD7 interacts very well with my chorus, but the Crybaby tends to fight with it. You don't really get much distorted sound when you run the PD7 before the wah, and don't get much wah when you run it after. It's a kind of trade off, but I like letting the wah win. The hardest part about getting used to this is some chords will cancel each other that. Not that I ever play chords on my bass, but if you let one string continue to ring while you hit another, the sound sometimes breaks up. There are a few intervals this thing does not like.

Probably the best bass overdrive/distortion I've ever used, especially for the price.

Hard metal, seems tough, and hasn't failed on me. Like all pedals, I'd use either an adaptor or fresh batteries for live playing, but that one is common sence.

The PD7 isn't exactly the easiest overdrive I've ever used. With drive, volume, 2 band EQ, mode, and attack controls, it can take quite a bit of tweaking before you can find the sound you like. There is a manual, but all it basicly does is explain what each knob and switch does. That really doesn't bother me, I always think the best way to find out what a pedal can do is to play around with it. Although it can take a while to find the sound you like, I still give a high score, considering all the tonal options.