PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive review by Ibanez

Ibanez: PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive

The distortion and OD sound decent, the Clean boost is my favorite. I play through an SVT III, 4x10" Carvin Cab w/ horn, and 2x10" + 18" loaded w/ carvin 10"s and an EV 18" through a Musicman Sterling Bass. I wanted to get a pedal to emulate guitar-like tones, and read a few reviews here stating that this pedal could do this, and well... didn't really cut the mustard in that regard... sounded good, but not what I was looking for. BUT, the Clean Boost is AWESOME when ya kick it on it's a wee bit "hissy" but it cranks out some serious CRUNCH. I've been using a SANSAMP Bass Driver for my boost channel, and for $140 less than the cost of it, the Ibenez absolutely leaves that thing in the dust. To ebay with the Sansamp (don't get me wrong, I'd highly recomend the SANSAMP as well, just not for the applications I'm using it for now). GREAT CLEAN BOOST channel...a nice surprise, it really throws the bass upfront (shellac, jesus lizard, cop shoot cop, barkmarket style). I was surprised... for the cost the sound is awesome, and it has 2 other channels w/ 3 voicings a piece as added incentive to buy. If I had it all over to do it again, I would, except I'd buy it cheaper used.

I play very DYNAMIC music from light and pretty sung and moderately pretty to full on heavy dischordant blow my speakers technical torturesque stuff... again, it was so cheap I'd buy another if it was lost stolen or covered in blood. I'd prefer if the footswitch had a better action (umm, like a sansamp or rat or most other non-boss/dod type pedals) but still good. as far as bass pedals go, I guess most bass players are morons and can't even play their basses, much less manipulate something on the floor- just a theory as to why there aren't too many neat little guys like this Ibanez out there to purchase. as far as ALL of the bass effect stuff I've played through (pretty much everything on the market) this is a little gem shining in a puddle of crap, ie good stuff. it would be cool to make ALL of the distortion effects (od, distortion, clean) footswitchable.... but this ain't too bad. buy it for a cheap GOOD fix. two thumbs up.

Dunno yet, I've had Ibanez stuff in the past and never had ANY problems. Best Korean and Japanese music stuff you can buy in my opinion.

I'm going to be upfront about this product. It is a stop box w/ 4 knobs: volume, bass, high, and drive. there are 3 different modes: clean, OD, distortion, and they each have 3 different voicings. In short it is a stomp box. you touch your foot on the pedal to turn it off and on. yeehaw.