PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive review by Ibanez

Ibanez: PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive

Purchased from: Nevada Music

I use this with an Epiphone Thunderbird and a Hartke A100 amp, and I can get a huge range of tones, which sound incredible. I love the clean mode; it brings out the low growl in my Thunderbird. I use the highest attack setting in the clean mode to give a crunchy fat tone. The overdrive and distortion settings are immense; most pedals give distortion but take away the bottom end of the bass. Not this pedal. The overdrive is fat and punchy, and can range from a slightly driven bluesy crunch to full on insane overdrive. The distortion channel is my favourite, lovely, warm and powerful; I have finally found my tone. It is easy to get sounds from bands like Muse with this pedal. I normally have the Drive and lo EQ at 2 o clock and the high EQ at 4 o clock, to get a rich rocky sound. I love the way this pedal adds to the bass's high end as well, especially on distortion modes, where the high end is soulful and warm, yet still as distorted as the lower end. They is a slight hiss noise from the amp when this pedal is on but this doesn't really get annoying and it goes away when your actually playing something.

I play modern rock/indie, and this pedal can do all this plus more extremely well. I try to find my own tone now rather than replicate other artist's tones and I have finally found my sound. I have been playing for 2 years and I own an Epiphone Bass and a Hartke 100w combo. If it were stolen/lost, I would go out and buy another because they're so cheap, and better sounding than the Boss O/D pedals, because they do a better job of holding the basses low end, I discovered this when I tried both out at a local store. I love the range of tones and features like the clean mode and the attack function, so I can achieve my sound; good thumping lows with an aggressive punchy distortion. The only thing I dislike is the hiss when nothing is being played, but this is being very picky and for the price I couldn't be more satisfied. Ibanez pedals rock!

I can depend on this pedal, even with constant heavy use. The footswitch is solid and not to easy/hard to press down. Everything feels solid and the control knobs can be pushed into the pedal to prevent damage. This pedal is as solid as higher priced Boss pedals. I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup; it feels much more expensive than the 40 it was bought for.

Very easy to use pedal, there is a volume knob, a Drive knob, and a couple of EQ controls (low and hi). There are 2 slide switches each with 3 modes. The one on the left switches between clean (shapes and rounds your tone), overdrive (for some heavy bass), and distortion, which can rise to some incredible levels. The one on the right controls the amount of 'attack' in your Drive. LED light, runs on 9V battery or adaptor. It's very easy to get a good sound of thanks to the versatile EQ and the endless tonal possibilities.

filthylittleboy
    Mutant Corn wrote: I used this with my 5 string, and it brings out the b string beautifully. I had an orgasm in my ears...
    thank you for not being a douche... obviously you need to ask if it handles the LOW B string well... but how is it for drop tuning?
    scondit15
    ok idk what you guys think im pretty sure it can pick up notes thats its job ... are we retarded
    Mutant Corn
    RedKroovy
    Just great stomp box. I've used mine with 5-string tuned whole step down, and it works fine. We sometimes play Black Sabbath's N.I.B in rehearsals just for the sound I get from my PD7 (my only effect). It's called PhatHed for a good reason.