PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive review by Ibanez

Ibanez: PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive

This thing sounds great. Simple as that. I use two main basses ESP/LTD B-55 and Ibanez SR300 (B-55 is my main bass). The basses go through this pedal and a Seymour Duncan Paranormal DI into the amp. I will be running a tuner (Behringer TU300) before I go through this pedal soon. The noise level is not at all bad when activated. There is the obvious sound of overdrive when you click it on, but nothing beyond. This is all true unless you have the distortion channel on along with lvel "2" attack. There is a static noise that you get so I suggest that if you play that heavy, you get a noise gate. Overall this isn't the BEST overdrive unit for bass, but for the price you CANNOT go wrong.

I play progressive metal with one band, hardcore with another, jazz with one more, and alt. rock with one. This thing is versatile enough for my heavier music. Just that, though. I use it to sound heavier and it does it's job. I have only one guitarist for my main bad so I'm providing rhythm along with bass and this pedal does the trick. The main pedal this is always compared to is Boss ODB-3. To me this pedal is better. It costs less and provides me with the sound that I like. I would purchase this same pedal if lost or stolen.

It's made out of diecast metal. It's pretty durable. I play shows and stomp on this thing - it's fine. I do suggest you invest in an adapter. The battery does not last at all on this unit. I used a Duracell 9V on it and it was out within a week. Maybe it's my fault, but I just bought an adapter.

The pedal has a few knobs on it and is a stompbox design, so it's easily set up and turned on. It also has two switches on it that I like to think of as boost switches. You can go from clean (which I see no use for seeing as you can click the pedal off to go to your clean channel), overdrive, to distortion on one Switch and set an attack level on the other. Between these features, you can get a little dirty Drive all the way to over-the-top distortion with a twist of a knob and maybe a forward of a Switch. Very easy to use.