TS9B Bass Tube Screamer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TS9B Bass Tube Screamer

Price paid: A$ 280

Purchased from: Cool Bannanas Music - Darwin

I use a Schecter Custom 5 LEFTY! And input that into my Ibanez Promethian 250w bass amp. The pedal can get rather noisy depending on how much mix and gain you decide to let through it, but that can all be adjusted using the level control. The main tweaks on it are the gain and the mix, iv found that the bass and treble controls don't make a huge difference when treaked individually, however when your palying round with the enitre sound you'll defanitally notice the differences. My band plays a lot of Alternative Rock kinda stuff, throw Paramore and Breaking Benajmin in a blender and somewhere in the mix you'll get our sound, so it does its job pretty well with the sound. Its not quite what I was expecting when I ordered it, but with the gain at a reasonable amount (its a get quite a loud and nice fuzz when maxed out) I can easily blend it into the bands sound, and it does a great job of improving it.

Throwin into the style of music I play, I probably could have looked at other options before jumping into it, however I am glad I got it, because I know it will serve me well how I use it. I'm primarily a bassist, and have been playing for about a year and a half now. I own one other pedal (currently), and that's the Boss LMB-3, for all you unfarmiliar, that's the bass "Limiter Enhancer", in other words, a ocmpression pedal. The compression pedal works a dream with this one, as it can get very noisy and in-your-face (well, ears actually...) and the ocmpression does a great job of trimming that down to be more withstandable on its own, and with imporving the overall sound of it, however the volume peak can be a good thing when playing with a band. If it where Stolen/lost, I would probably look at other options before jumping into this one again, but that's just cause of the stlye of music my band plays, and the sound I need for it. It is rather probable I'd end up with it again though. I really like the older sounding crunchy, Vintage tone it produces, and it sound great, not outstanding, but certainly something ALMOST worth the money!.. But of course, if this is something your looking for it is well worth both the money, and the wait for it. However as I'v mentioned before, it does give off some other great sounding, uh, sounds... That can be mixed well into a really wide range of genres. If its possible, defanitally give this thing a spin and see what you can get from it, because more exprienced muso's should be able to find many more uses and sounds to play with. The only improvement I'd add to it, its the fact that the LED light is squished right into the body of the pedal and it used a mirror around it to sort of reflect the light. This works terribly. The only time you can see the LED, and know wheather its actually on or not is if your standing pretty much right above it, and this can be a problem when using a large pedal board.

Durability wise, it does a pretty good job on its own. Its hard and sturdy, and can take a fair few whacks with your food before it notices its in pain. The actual footswitch its a bit troublesome though. Although it has never failed to light up when I stomp on it with reasonable force, with too little, it decides to be stubborn and doesnt't turn it. Its is probably bulit this way to be able ot withstand all the stomps itl endure over a lifetime, which is certainly a good thing, however unless your focusing on actually trying to turn this thing on, it might not be so obediant.

The five controls may make it look complicated, but its really quite easy to squeeze a good sound out of. Drive, level, mix, bass and treble. All pretty straight foreward. Drive is the amount of distortion/overdrive, while level controlls the output volume of the sound (when stomped on), mix is the amount it decides to mix into the output sound, and bass and treble speak for themselves. There is a manual, its a double sided sheet of fancy paper, but the majority of it just repeats itself in other languages. It is rather heplful however, and gives you some examples of the sound you can get out of this thing, all pretty good. Its not hard ot figure out really, with eyes, ears, and a touch of common sense anyone should be able to easily produce the sound they're trying to geto out of it.

ETHANEVIL
    ive heard that it would blow all your speakers, and screw up all your electronics if ever used at a gig. this was on bassmasta, so you cant see what exactly he said, but it was something to that effect. do you know if there is any truth to that at all? if so, can it be avoided? and how? please comment me back on this review, or on my profile. thanx a ton
    Prodigal ant
    Ah, although im yet to use it on a gig (had one just the Friday before..) as far as im aware, it hasnt blown any speakers yet. Iv used it set up to a PA also, and no difference, apart form the effect of course..! Whoever wrote that must've been hight or somethin man. Trust me, all good..!
    ETHANEVIL
    Alright thanx man. I will now continue to be stoked about getting this pedal