TS9B Bass Tube Screamer Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TS9B Bass Tube Screamer Reviewed by: Prodigal ant, on may 16, 2011

Price paid: A$ 280

Purchased from: Cool Bannanas Music - Darwin

Ease of Use: The five controls may make it look complicated, but its really quite easy to squeeze a good sound out of. Drive, level, mix, bass and treble. All pretty straight foreward. Drive is the amount of distortion/overdrive, while level controlls the output volume of the sound (when stomped on), mix is the amount it decides to mix into the output sound, and bass and treble speak for themselves. There is a manual, its a double sided sheet of fancy paper, but the majority of it just repeats itself in other languages. It is rather heplful however, and gives you some examples of the sound you can get out of this thing, all pretty good. Its not hard ot figure out really, with eyes, ears, and a touch of common sense anyone should be able to easily produce the sound they're trying to geto out of it. // 9

Sound: I use a Schecter Custom 5 LEFTY! And input that into my Ibanez Promethian 250w bass amp. The pedal can get rather noisy depending on how much mix and gain you decide to let through it, but that can all be adjusted using the level control. The main tweaks on it are the gain and the mix, iv found that the bass and treble controls don't make a huge difference when treaked individually, however when your palying round with the enitre sound you'll defanitally notice the differences. My band plays a lot of Alternative Rock kinda stuff, throw Paramore and Breaking Benajmin in a blender and somewhere in the mix you'll get our sound, so it does its job pretty well with the sound. Its not quite what I was expecting when I ordered it, but with the gain at a reasonable amount (its a get quite a loud and nice fuzz when maxed out) I can easily blend it into the bands sound, and it does a great job of improving it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Durability wise, it does a pretty good job on its own. Its hard and sturdy, and can take a fair few whacks with your food before it notices its in pain. The actual footswitch its a bit troublesome though. Although it has never failed to light up when I stomp on it with reasonable force, with too little, it decides to be stubborn and doesnt't turn it. Its is probably bulit this way to be able ot withstand all the stomps itl endure over a lifetime, which is certainly a good thing, however unless your focusing on actually trying to turn this thing on, it might not be so obediant. // 9

Overall Impression: Throwin into the style of music I play, I probably could have looked at other options before jumping into it, however I am glad I got it, because I know it will serve me well how I use it. I'm primarily a bassist, and have been playing for about a year and a half now. I own one other pedal (currently), and that's the Boss LMB-3, for all you unfarmiliar, that's the bass "Limiter Enhancer", in other words, a ocmpression pedal. The compression pedal works a dream with this one, as it can get very noisy and in-your-face (well, ears actually...) and the ocmpression does a great job of trimming that down to be more withstandable on its own, and with imporving the overall sound of it, however the volume peak can be a good thing when playing with a band. If it where Stolen/lost, I would probably look at other options before jumping into this one again, but that's just cause of the stlye of music my band plays, and the sound I need for it. It is rather probable I'd end up with it again though. I really like the older sounding crunchy, Vintage tone it produces, and it sound great, not outstanding, but certainly something ALMOST worth the money!.. But of course, if this is something your looking for it is well worth both the money, and the wait for it. However as I'v mentioned before, it does give off some other great sounding, uh, sounds... That can be mixed well into a really wide range of genres. If its possible, defanitally give this thing a spin and see what you can get from it, because more exprienced muso's should be able to find many more uses and sounds to play with. The only improvement I'd add to it, its the fact that the LED light is squished right into the body of the pedal and it used a mirror around it to sort of reflect the light. This works terribly. The only time you can see the LED, and know wheather its actually on or not is if your standing pretty much right above it, and this can be a problem when using a large pedal board. // 8

TS9B Bass Tube Screamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2013

Purchased from: MADAPE Ebay

Ease of Use: I plugged this thing in without touching the knobs and liked the sound I got immediately. I'm playing a MusicMan Stingray Five String through a Markbass Little Mark III into a Schroeder 1212L. I'd heard that these sort of overdrive pedals only really work well with passive basses into tube amps but it sounds great through my rig. I don't use it for face melting crunch or metal etc and it's not really made for that but when I need a touch-sensitive overdrive the breaks up just right and cuts through the mix without getting lost in mud - this is the one I use. // 8

Sound: I use a MusicMan Stingray5 Markbass Little Mark III Shroeder 1212L Dunlub Crybaby Bass Wah Joyo Compressor. I use this pedal at the end of the chain with the compressor right in front of it. This way I have a nice clean tone and when I click on the TS9B I get a nice grit with a slight boost that can go to a cruchy grind if I hit at the strings harder. If the TS9B is on when I click on the compressor, I get a bit more grit and a nice tubey growl. With both of these clicked on, the Bass Wah sounds like a pulsating chainsaw - its effing AWESOME! It's not noisy. I Imagine dialing the Drive knob to maximum will produce some hiss but like I said, its not made for that. It's not a true bypass pedal so there is just the tiniest change to your clean sound when bypassed but it doesn't bother me. I only use three pedals so I don't have enough to really make a difference to tone when bypassed so the small change (That no-one else on earth can hear but me) is acceptable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its a solid metal, emerald green box. I Imagine after 50 gigs, throwing it into gig bags, stepping on it with a variety of shoes, thongs, feet and ice-skates, this thing might develop a few character scars and trophies of individuality but that's kind of what makes having pedals so cool. The knobs and the switch aren't as hardcore as the case but they're not obtrusive enough to get damaged too easily. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. So far dependability is fine but considering the way I use it, I could get through a gig without it if I had to. The way I play and the way this pedal shines is that it's designed to be noticed once it stops. // 10

Overall Impression: I play funk, blues, blues funk and funk blues and soul. I also do some alternative hard rock/Metal sort of stuff. I've been playing for 15 odd years and have done everything from easy listening rock to crazy funk metal. My passion is funk - Hey, I like to show off he he. I also play guitar and have a tube screamer clone that makes my little tube amp sound amazing which is why I bout the TS9B without even hearing it and despite some of the crap reviews it gets. The other one I was looking at was the Catalinbread SFT but I just kept coming back the TS9B. If it were lost or stolen (and could afford it) I would definitely by another one. My whole rig is pretty mid oriented and the TS9B really punches out the mids nicely and REALLY suits my rig. I tried a few other ones such as the Boss ODB but it was horrible. Its a great pedal but it sounded bad with my rig. The VT Bass by Sansamp is great for my rig but not really the sound I like. I kind of wish it was a true bypass pedal and if I find some spare cash in the future I may just pay for it to be converted but it's not a real issue. Bottom line: If you wan a nice, responsive and touch sensitive overdrive that you can tweak into a nice grind to a full blown growl then go for it, you wont be disappointed. If you want a balls out crazy face melting distortion, get a Big Muff ;-) // 10

Comments