M80 Bass D.I.+ review by MXR

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
MXR: M80 Bass D.I.+

Purchased from: Used Seller

This pedal is amazing to get a great sound out of. If you're looking into D.I. pedals or boxes defiantly give this one a try. I guess if the venue you were playing at had a nice PA sound system you might not even have to bring a amp haha. (Carrying around your 8x10 Ampeg Fridge has got to get old hahaha). This pedal is just your 9v power supply which is handy if your playing with other pedals. Do yourself a favor and go check out this D.I. you will not be disappointed. The fact that you can blend a distorted and clean tone with this pedal makes it worth it and useful in soooo many situations.

This pedal is awesome for getting that gritty bass tone for metal/rock. With just the clean signal on there is a color switch that adds some good depth to the tone. With the distortion switch on it will give you a crushing bass tone. You can blend the two tones to taste. There is also a Noise gate to cut any unwanted to noise which is awesome for distortion pedals. Depending on where you're playing I could see myself just using this and no amp! Check out the video below for a demo of the distorted tone!

YouTube preview picture

MXR is one of my all time favorite pedal companies. I think they make very durable long lasting pedals. I don't really plan on gigging with this because I'm mainly a guitar player, but if I could I would defiantly use this pedal for sure. There is also a parallel output for playing with a tuner or getting only the bass tone in whatever your plugging it into. The eq on this pedal is also very awesome, it seems to cut out the need for any other eq anywhere when recording or playing live. There is also a phantom/ground switch to use if needed.

I play a lot of heavier style music and this pedal is perfect for that. I think a little grit/distortion is great for playing bass in a metal band. Also in a recording situation this pedal is amazing, usually I will blend two tracks together of bass, 1 distorted and then 1 just the D.I. This pedal works out perfect because of the blending option, allowing to blend your clean/distorted tones. Now you only need 1 track to record. (Even though a DI track is always good to have, and maybe a mic'd up amp track to if you wanna get into tonal perfection hahaha...)