PolyTune review by TC Electronic

TC Electronic: PolyTune

Purchased from: eBay

I use this at the end of my effects chain, ie last pedal before the amp, and it works great. Being that this is a True Bypass tuner it is in the like of the Korg Pitch Black. I personally prefer the polytune for several reasons. Coming from the industry standard Boss TU-2, I stumbled upon this tuner at my local guitar shop. There have been two things I have been looking at to upgrade my sound as of late, one being true bypass. This pedal has an amazing feature that I have not seen any other stomp box have. This tuner allows you to tune all your strings at once. It has a feature where you can either hit your strings chromatically, similar to a TU-2 or strum down on all 6 strings and you are able to see if you are sharp or flat. Fantastic idea and works very well.

At the end of the day if you are looking for a great tuner with some incredible features pick this one up. There were many things I considered before selling my TU-2. I did a light test, to see how bright the LED display was in sunshine. As my band plays several outdoor venues I wanted to make sure the display was visible. In comparison, the TU-2 displayed a brighter strobe light but the polytune displayed what string you were on much clearer. For me that is more important. This also has automatic detection of light settings and adjusts brightness based on how bright the room is so it should more than handle whichever venue you decide to play at.

Based on how they pack this, I was able to tell that they put a lot thought and care into the design of this tuner. It feels like it is made out of tank metal so I do not forsee any problems in terms of damage to this pedal. The footswitch is rugged as well but doesn't have as much of give as a Boss pedal would so that will take some getting used to.

Very easy to use, plug in and it starts tuning. Extremely easy setup and very easy to chose what mode you want. I like the look of this and I really like the technology of this pedal which I will get into later on in the revue. This tuner has 0.5 cent tuning accuracy (good enough for live rock n' roll). If you get into the studio professionally and want to get 0.3 cent then this is not for you but if you are looking to play music in a normal environment, the non-perfect world, this will do the trick.

Linkerman
    Not a bad review, but i feel you could've been more thorough... This tuner is next on my "To buy" list, and a more in-depth overview would've been nice. Oh, and in my opinion, tuners should go first in the effects chain (straight from the guitar into the tuner).
    thejester
    linkerman, ask any question and i will be more than happy to give a more thorough review. also everyones effects chain can be different for me that is how my chain functions best for me, but i understand most people do go directly in to the tuner
    thejester
    check out prices on ebay, brand new is $99usd in store i got mine brand new for $65 delivered to my door!
    Charlie4
    swedish_chef
    Charlie4 wrote: Have high regard for TC Electronic. Hoping to get the Nova Drive in a few months time.
    You'll not be disappointed. The pedal is pure awesomeness
    alexsaber89
    Just bought one and I am loving it. Very fast note tracking and very accurate. For the record, it is usually best to have your tuner first in the signal path to get the most accurate tuning.
    Polaris666
    Can anyone tell me if you can downtune with this? I was looking at it, but I don't see how you can tell what tuning you're in.
    Bleeding_Metal1
    i really need to get one of these im always having tuning problems and it would be great to tune all the strings at once.
    SLonergan
    purplestain
    l0rd0ct0d0rk
    SLonergan wrote: It can only do standard tunings in the polyphonic mode, but it will go all the way down to be Standard. If you want to do drop D, you can easily use the Polyphonic for the first 5 strings, and tune your 6th string separately.
    not that drop d, btw, the whole step down or 2 steps down tuning
    purplestain wrote: you can actually tune in drop c or drop d in polyphonic mode. you just set it the way you want it, and the tuner will fix it for you!
    olithebass
    Brilliant pedal. Much preferred to the Boss, lighter, smaller, looks better, polyphonic function is amazing. My only critique is if it's at the beginning or end or you pedal board chain, you can't fit the jack socket in because the input is lower down than the Boss.. solution.. put the tuner somewhere else in the chain!