SansAmp Bass Driver DI review by Tech 21

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Tech 21: SansAmp Bass Driver DI

One of the easiest pedals to use for getting great tone. You can really use this pedal for just about anything bass. The Line and INST switch on XLR and 1/4 inch outputs also acts as a pad if whether your running something super hot with active pickups or not. If your a gigging bass play or studio Bass player I would Highly suggest adding one of these to your toolbox, Can't go wrong with this! If you would like to actually hear this pedal in action, check out the video below!

YouTube preview picture

What is there not to like about this pedal! Whatever I put it in front of it sounds great. Having a nice touch of drive to your bass tone is great in my opinion (especially for metal) and the blend knob lets you blend how much of your Clean Di tone mixed with the gain is a great feature. The presence knob allows more clean high end to come through, great for when I'm playing my Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and riding that low fifth string. The bass and treble knobs are great for adjusting tone to taste. My friend has a Darkglass bass pedal and this comes pretty close to awesomeness.

This pedal is great for a live situation. If your playing in a nice club or bar with a decent PA setup don't even bother bringing your amp and just rock the SanSamp, sounds great! (This also depends on the sound guy I guess). If you still wanted to bring your amp luckily there are two outputs (1 1/4, 1 XLR) so you can play out of your amp and the PA. I could see myself using this live for sure, seems very durable and easy to see and adjust. Having this in the studio is great, You can really shape the tone of any bass and make it sound great, then make it sound even better going into a super sweet nice sound Impulse response/Cab sim.

I love everything about this pedal. When recording I've always liked blending two bass tracks together (1 clean DI, and one grit track) but I've seem to just like using the blend knob on the pedal. I know it's good to always keep a DI track just in case but hey if you dial in a sweet tone with just 1 track why should it matter, if it sounds good to you who cares. The parallel output is also a sweet feature allowing the uneffected tone through. If you purchase new with manual or just look online they have some amazing settings you can dial in and sound great.