VT Bass review by Tech 21

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Tech 21: VT Bass

Purchased from: Local Music Store

The dials are quite self-explanatory. It is the definition of plug-and-play. Extremely easy to get multiple usable tones out of this pedal. Once you plug in, it is easy to find a tone that you like. The VT Bass has just enough variables that you won’t find yourself lost in a myriad of settings. Slight adjustment are possible so that finding your sweet spot will be a breeze.

I largely use this pedal to help cut through during a jam session. I dial in a little dirty midrange tone to sit alongside the guitar. The base simulation is an Ampeg SVT and it does a great job to create a poor man's SVT with additional simulations provided by the character dial. The pedal also makes my Boss ODB-3 more usable when placed in front of the pedal. I mostly play metal genres (Pantera, Trivium, KSE, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Tool style music) and I find it really fitting for this style. Really helps when you need some dirt as a bass finger player. Slap bass tones become more aggressive when using this pedal. This is a nice addition when you want something other than that flat slap bass tone. Basically, the pedal sounds exactly like the demo video of Ben from Your Favourite Enemies. I just wanted to show some love and do a review to get the pedal more noticed.

YouTube preview picture

Have the pedal for exactly one year. Battery lasts longer than the average boss overdrive pedal. No loose components. The dials are solid! They have just enough resistance so that you can fine tune. The activation switch is solid. The activation switch, however, does not appear to be unscrew-able like other pedal activation switches I have seen. But if it does break, I'm sure your local music shop could fix it. The pedal comes in a tin box for safe transportation. Has rubber stoppers at the bottom to prevent slipping. Paint job seems to be solid.

Brilliant pedal. Definitely a must have if you can't afford an expensive bass amp. I would like if you could have two setting saved on the pedal. There is more than one usable tone on the pedal I would like to use during a song. That being said, there is deluxe edition if you got deluxe money. One additional feature of this pedal is that it can be used as a guitar overdrive/distortion pedal! This is due to the fliptop simulation setting available via the character and drive dial. I play a signature squire telecaster with a Single '59 hot rodded pickup in the bridge and I have so much fun with this pedal.