506 II Bass review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Zoom: 506 II Bass

Purchased from: eBay

I run it through a 200W Yorkville 2x10 combo with tweeter. Nothing dazzling, but I am getting a cabinet with head soon. I play a Spector Euro5. I have not had many problems with noise thus far. As I mentioned, you need to customize a lot of them yourself. The distortion could be better thats for sure. The quality of effects is not the best, some sound better than others. I wanna work on creating my own sound first and so far that is really fun. I want to re-create the sound of Justin Chancellor of Tool. He is an inspiration. I have not done this yet. But the rig has over 30 effetcs so I cannot see this being a big problem. There are a few different types of distortion on this unit. I can't say that I am too fond of them. I can't see myself using distortion too much, so it is not my main concern. Chorus is great: you can customize it and there are a few types to choose from. Echo and Reverb are impressive also. There is one effect on here that blew my mind! Kill me, but I cannot remember what its called. Reminds me of "The Matrix" lol. It rocks.

This unit will really help me broaden my sound and make it my own. With over 30 effects, its wuite simple to find something that matches no matter what genre you consider your music to be. Playing bass for about 5 years. I own a Boss chorus pedal also. I have looked at the 506 I and the DigiTech. The DigiTech was outta my price range, and the 506 I was out dated. Good product. Not the best choice for stage if u use a lot of effects. This thing is so small! Its literally the size of 5 CD's stacked on top of one another. For the money I paid, I am not complaining too much.

I have only had it for 2 weeks, so I cannot really say. I could myself using this for the Studio more than on stage. I will use it for both, but switching between effects can be difficult seeing as there are only 2 foot switches. Although the unit is Plastic, it's very durable. The bottom is metal. As of now, I only have my Chorus pedal as a backup. This is my only multi-effects processor. I would use it on stage without back-up. I would remember to bring extra AA batteries and an extra AC adapter.

At first it is a little difficult. You need a good 2 hours to dit down and program your own effects into the banks. The ones that came with it were garbage. Once you figure out how to work this piece of equipment, and customize all your sounds, the turnout is good. The ability to edit is there, and as stated, takes some time to master. If I was stuck on something, I consulted the manual. But to be honest, I figured out most of the product on my own. Trial and error mostly.