506 II Bass review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Zoom: 506 II Bass

Right now I'm running my jazz bass into it and then to my SWR LA15. Nothing special, I'm planning on upgrading everything. Some effects are noisy, and sometimes the thing isn't very loud. I havent been able to get an exact match on any artists, but close enough. My favorites are bill gould from FNM and Trevor Dunn from Mr Bungle. The distortion is ok, I use the edge distortion all the time, even though it's not really distorted at all. I'm not sure what you would call it.

I play slap rock, and this isn't the best for that. I'm self taught playing for 3 1/2 years. I own a Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Telecaster, MXR Distortion +, DigiTech Digidelay, SWR LA15, Squier Champ15, and I just purchased a Peavey TB Raxx preamp and BBE Sonic Maximizer with 6 space rack. I love the price, hate the quality. I should have played through the DigiTech first but I had a friend who had bad luck with that one too. I wish it was metal, and wish the craftsmanship was better.

This is where this thing is crap. I don't know about you but I don't think a good pedal should have to be taken apart. I had to re-solder the input and a/c connector because the original broke off. I use it gigs, because I have nothing else yet, but this is more of a practice thing. It's kinda fragile, and as I said before, unless you want to spend more money for single stomp boxes for your first effects pedal, get this, or check out DigiTech.

This thing is pretty straight foward. Turn the knob to select an effect and change values with the two buttons to the right. The standard effects suck, but I got some ok slap tones out of it. As a first pedal, it's a good choice to see what kind of sounds you like.