B1X review by Zoom

Zoom: B1X

Purchased from: GAK

I plug this through my Behringer BXL900A amp, or right through my computer for recording. There are plenty of different sounds, but the sounds do weaken the bass signal to a significant degree, so the sounds aren't as good as many other effects (obviously, this is a cheap multi effects pedal). There is some background noise on some of the patches, but that can be easily resolved by reducing the gain in the patch. The Artist models are pretty good, with the Billy Sheehan distortion, Flea autowah and Victor Wooten patches being my personal favourites. The Amp models are decent enough, with the typical Fender, Ampeg and Hartke models etc. There are good effects that I would use frequently, and some, such as the space age patch which sound pretty cool, but in reality I wouldn't really use them! The Expression Pedal does allow control over the effect also, which is nice.

I give this a 8, because although it doesn't have fantastic sound output, it is remarkably good value for money - at 59, it was the cheapest multieffects pedal on the market. For me it is perfect as I'm on a low budget and just needed something to help me get some more sounds, and thus why I would recommend it to anyone on a low budget. If it were broken or stolen I'd buy it again just because of how relatively cheap it is in comparison to other multieffects processors. It allows me to play my mainly funk, jazz style of play, with added exras.

I have just got this, but it does seem like a sturdy bit of equipment, with the plastic casing being fairly tough. I haven't gigged with it, although I can imagine that for those who gig regurlarly (not me), it wouldn't suffice, and something more upmarket, that has a much more sturdy design would be better.

The unit is very simple to use and get used to, the clear instruction manual is a great help. Once you get the gist of which buttons do what, you can essentially edit upto 40 patches with whatever parameters you'd like. There are a number a decent amp models and artist models, which I like to play around with to develop my own sounds.

sean.barnes.948
    i think you turn it on with the batteries by plugging a jack in to the input socket? that's how a lot of pedals work