B2.1U review by Zoom

Zoom: B2.1U

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

I'm using this pedal with a Cort C4 and a Laney RB3 with a 15" cab. Due to the ZNR there's minimal noise, but some of the syth models have unsavoury background sounds and produce a huge amount of volume, which may or may not be an annoyance. Most of the amp models sound great, I have one of my patches set up so it gives a kind of Jaco sound with my fretless, and the delay effect is pretty nifty. The EQ is a good addition, where if you want to go for a scooped mid slap sound to a bassy sound you can just set up 2 patches with the differences and switch between, to save you running to the amp or buying an EQ pedal. The autowah is brilliant, but the pedalwah is slightly weak, and due to being able to change the sweeped frequency it is fiddly.

I play a pretty large range of music, and this pedal does a good job of helping me switch between softer sounds and balls-out metal. I've been playing for just over 3 years, using this pedal, an Ibanez PD7, a Cort C4, a Vintage V940 Fretless and a Vintage EST96AF 5 string into a Laney RB3 + 15" cab. I bought this pedal on impulse, and it proved to be a worthwhile addition to the setup. If it were stolen/lost I would probably try my hardest to find it again, since I've spent precious time editing patches! I love the fact it has 3 outputs (USB, Stereo Jack and XLR), where I can record using the USB and monitor from the XLR or Jack. The control input is useful for turning on and off certain things (delay hold/the drum machine etc). The only thing I hate is the cheek of Zoom and GAK in stating that it comes with the adaptor, yet all I got in the box was a cardboard shape saying 'adaptor not included'!

It's been gigged, it withstood it, with fresh batteries it's said to last upto 8 hours straight, which is good when you don't have an adaptor long enough to reach! The footswitches seem sturdy, and with the expression pedal being metal (rather than the expected plastic from lower end pedals) it won't break in a hurry. As for backups, unless someone were to throw it 20ft across the room into a concrete wall I wouldn't consider a backup. There aren't really any patches I depend on regardless, I get distortion from my Ibanez PD7 and I can EQ on the amp, the pedals mostly for amp models and those 'mid song doodles' at gigs.

As with all multi effects, it's like learning to swim in the deep end when it comes to editing at first. However, with the (relatively indepth) manual you can get a general idea, the effect names are pretty obvious (TS = Tubescreamer, AG = Ampeg), however some of the distortion models are harsh even when turned down, and the monosynth is pretty useless.

altanunsal
    yeah, it's real nice.. i tried it with a fender P bass today at the local shop and it sounds real great. I also use Ibanez PD7 so, i don't usually need this, however, i try to use it as much as possible to colour up the music...
    eddienolan89
    i got it and it does come with a adapter,spose depends where you life,im sending mine back some of the patches have got alot of white noise now and the patches are just going!
    King Krapp
    I got one for my birthday, and I fell in love with it. I have a Squier J Bass and an Ashdown Perfect 10, so it's great to finally have some choice in sound.