AB2 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Ashton: AB2

The sound is pretty much just like you'd expect a beginners' bass to sound like. It's rather dull, the tone isn't well defined. It can't match even a Squier P-Bass in terms of sound, but it's all you need if you're just starting. The sound didn't really matter to me as a new bass player. It does to me now, though.

This bass had a massive impression on me as my first axe. It made everything else look good, and sort of ignited my hunger for better quality hardware. I can't say I regret getting this bass, but in comparison to other bass guitars, it's not very good. You get what you pay for.

It won't withstand thrashing of any description - it's designed simply to be played at home. Strap buttons can't hold a strap. Hardware will not last, which is why there's such thing as upgrading. Definitely would not use this at a gig - which is why I upgraded. The E string got 'pulled' when I was playing once. It just stretched right out down by the saddle. This is the kind of bass you'd want Pete Wentz to smash up in a Fall Out Boy video.

The action is really high. The strings are weak. The finish is nothing special, in fact far from it. The pickups were adjusted to satisfactory position - not that it matters on a bass like this. The plastic ring on the tuning peg for the E string (where the peg is attached to the Machine Head) broke off, but the Machine Head still worked. The thing that really got me was that there seemed to be fibres sticking out from under the saddle. Turns out when I finally decided to clean it and sell it, they are the earth wires earthed to the bridge. The neck isn't straight either. Strap was flimsy

This was my first ever bass guitar. 20 frets, 34" Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 4-bolt on. The body wood I'm not sure of - the website says "Solid tone wood". Whatever that means. It's finished in an ugly blue colour with chrome hardware. Pickups are Ashton Precision-bass style with active volume/tone control. Pretty average beginner specs. Came with picks, strap, VHS video on bass for beginners, a manual, cable and BA15 amp - the old one (the new packs come with a BA20).