AB2 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Ashton: AB2

Price paid: A$ 300

I play heavy metal, and this bass is perfect for it. The sound is nice and aggressive, but holds its pitch. But whenever I played up high, It buzzed a lot - but as you press harder, it stops (except the D string). I couldn't crank up the treble/middle with the Amp, because the lead would not accept it and all I got was crackling. If the Amp was better, I might change my thoughts, but If you buy a new lead you'll be fine.

This matches my playing, and it was my first bass - so it dates back far and it's still running okay. I just have other basses occupying it. It's not worth buying again with such a big market, because by this time, you'll have bass experience and money to buy a "proper" bass. I just love the tone, but when I plug it in to the original Amp, my smile turns upside down. I really liked the inbuilt tuner - it saved me spending 100 on another - and it gives perfect reading. I went straight for this one because I was saving up for a car so I couldn't spend too much, and because I had no experience, I didn't want to wreck a good bass. I just with it came with a tightened up input/ better lead, and better factory string! I recommend you buy it, but only as a starter bass, or a Live backup if you're on a budget.

The Live playing is good, but you can't use it without a backup due to the faulty input. The strap buttons were GREAT. Especially with the tough and comfortable strap. Due to the other basses I ended up buying and keeping at the studio, this was just a simple bass if I was bored I would play, so I managed to use it recklessly - and it still hasn't broken anything. And lots of people complain about the finish. Yes, it stratched too easily, but it doesn't wear off. You can tell despite the cheap factor, they still tried.

The shape was great, and a perfect size for a small person like me. But the pickups weren't too flash, the bridge was extremely mediocre, and around the headstock, the fingerboard would wear out even without playing on the first frets. The frets were nice size for pitch up until the highest frets. The worst thing by far was the loose cable input. I had to dig through my Tool shed for ours trying to find a spanner to tighten it up. It helped the Amp quality, but I had already spent the money on the good lead (not that I regret it). A cheap bass comes with cheap parts.

Something great about this bass was the amount of things it came with. I wasn't sure if I had spent most of the money on the bass, or everything else. That said, a bass under $300 ($200 US, I assume) is great. It come with an Amp. This comes with a lead, which was shocking, so I bought a proper one. It came with a case aswell, but the zips broke off within 2 days, a strap - which holds up very well, 2 allen keys which I didn't use, and the great inbuilt tuner. The tuner was oh-so helpful due to the shocking factory strings untuning themselves. Not the best, but definately worth the cheap price.