AB2 review by Ashton

Ashton: AB2

Price paid: A$ 378

Purchased from: Shire Music

I mainly play anything from Ska Punk to Post-Hardcore on this bass and with the write settings of the BA20 and strumming the pick close to the pickups I was able to achieve a satisfying Punk tone although it could be greatly improved with with the price of the Starter Set how could I complain? Yet one of the real problems is when I attempted a clean smooth tone at a high sound level (possibly the amps fault) I would get a strange shutter that was not too concerning, still I would not blame the actual bass.

I have been playing bass for about 6 months, although I've been playing guitar for about less than a year so some of my experience has been she'd onto bass guitar. This guitar would match smooth slow styles to heavy wall shaking basslines, but still reminding that it will give you a beginner to intermediate range in overall. If someone broke this bass and payed me the price I payed for it I would defiantly buy a different bass as I am now more experienced, showing this bass will get you through the beginner phase. Soon I will purchase an Schecter Riot 5 String Bass that wish I would of known about and saved more money for at the start then buying this, still I am happy with the choice of buying this bass and content that I brought it.

Honestly with a decent amp I would take this on a gig, to be truthful I've accidentally bumped and drop this guitar (from small heights) a few times and there are know signs of damage which is awesome. The only concern I have is the finish on the neck of the guitar which seems to be chipping off slightly, although it is very minor to be exact about three 13mm x 13mm placed around the neck and I've had this guitar for 5-6 months.

Overall this thing was quite well put together in my opinion, although I did not examine the pickup wiring, I didn't feel that the guitar would fall apart at any time. The input jack was secured tight, as well as both the tuners and strap buttons.

The Ashton AB2 Bass is an ideal choice for your first bass guitar. With a Basswood Body and Rosewood Fretboard this arch top guitar quite heavy, yet still provides comfort while playing sitting down until it cuts of your circulation. I purchase this guitar with a white finish which include the headstock presented with a black pick guard (Ska), although this bass also comes in a variety of other colour which proved a hard decision. This purchase came as a starter kit which included a Ashton BA20 20 Watt, a EXTREMELY crap strap (that broke under the weight of the guitar), a gig bag, extra strings and a few picks. Also it came installed with a tuner which was REALLY helpful for tuning while jamming at other peoples houses.