Badwater APJ-820 review by AXL

AXL: Badwater APJ-820

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

The J&P pickup configuration sounds just like you'd expect it to. Just as good as a mexican made fender. I can get more diverse sounds out of this bass than my tbirds. However, this basses overall sound is weak in comparison but by no means unusable. I play through a Markbass little mark III and an Ampeg 6x10.

I play in a post hardcore metal band, (the bled, norma jean)ish and this works awesome for less than 300$. I can't bring my self to buy expensive basses because I feel as if I can't be as rough on them. I don't care that it was made in china or that I've never heard of the brand until now, If I like it and the price is right, what else matters?

I am nothing short of abusive to my basses in live performances. I have gigged with this one a few times without a backup and it has stood up just fine. I put straplocks on all my guitars so I can't comment on the stock strap buttons. The best part is any dents or scratches will go unnoticed due to the finish.

Out of the box this played great, only needing a minor tune up. The strings that came with it were garbage though, I cut my finger on one. The finish is the coolest part, mine is the "off white" which looks like a regular white guitar that has been left in an oven for too long.

First off, this bass is light. I've been playing Epiphone Thunderbirds for years and have constantly lived with the neck dive. This is mostly my reasoning for buying this bass. The other part is the worn look. I like anything that looks different, I didn't care that I'd never heard of the brand before and at this price I could afford not to. The tuning keys tend to stick, but this is nothing that can't be dealt with. Claims to have EMG designed pickups, but that makes no difference to me.