Signature Vortex 'Dimmu Borgir' Warlock Review

8.4
 3.5
 2,949
review (1) pictures (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Signature Vortex 'Dimmu Borgir' Warlock Reviewed by: ShigglyB00, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I'm not exactly sure when this bass was made, but it was most certainly in the last few years. Not sure where it was made. It's a 5 string, has a 35" scale and it has 24 frets, as I feel all basses should have, one of the reasons I chose this over other models. The bass is made of basswood, which I'm not brilliantly familiar with, but the guitar itself has a matte plastic feel to it. I'm not sure if that's what basswood is like of if it's some sort of laminate. The neck is madeof the same material from what I can tell. Fretboard is ebony, which I quite like. It has BC Rich's own pickups and tuners. I'll probably replace the pickups when I get some money, because I know there's much better out there. The hardware (knobs) are BC Rich's own black ones. There's 4 of them on the signature model of this bass, on both the 4 and 5 string. 1 volume, 1 blend, 1 bass active and 1 treble active, which is pretty sweet, considering many guitars just have the two. I personally prefer the look of guitars with 3 or 4 knobs on them. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and rock for bandwork and a little bit of random funk when I'm messing about. The tone of the guitar is really nice through my Line 6 Lowdown LD15. It has a really nice punchy sound to it and it's capable of all sorts of different styles with the amp. Metal, funk, blues... anything really. Obviously the bass was designed for metal, being the signature model for the former bassist for Norwegian black metal titans, Dimmu Borgir and that's where its really at its best. I don't feel my vocabulary is broad enough for me to describe this bass in a way to do it justice, but it's just fantastic. It roars, it growls and thunders, just the way you'd hope for from a BC Rich. The higher end notes aren't too bad. But not brilliant. But if your looking to buy a bass such as this, you're most likely not looking to invest to much of your time using it for the higher frequencys. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't actually get the guitar straight from the factory. There was a slight cosmetic flaw (The headstock has a small chip in it) So it from a company that mainly bought these blemished guitars that couldn't be sold by the guitar maker due to its small flaw, hence I got it for quite a good price. However, when I did get the guitar, it was all set up fairly well. Although, the guitar came to my house a few months before I actually got to use it, as it was being stored away for a birthday present, but upon recieving it, the bass was still in tune, despite being shuffled around and bumped often. I've not yet had to make any adjustments, but I may in the future. Obviously with it being a BC Rich, it's a little neck heavy, but that can be easily fixed by moving the strap peg to shift the centre of gravity to the body more. There's zero buzz, great action and everything else seems great. The finish is one of this basses strongest point lies. It's just damn beautiful. The red vortex pattern over the body is really nice. Smaller little vortex patterns are used as fret markers, all of which are red, apart from the larger inlay on the 12th fret which is white. There's no inlay on the 9th fret, as to allow more space for the white one. Despite being a warlock model, it has the BC Rich Warbeast horned headstock, which I like more than the traditional Warlock headstock. The neck and headstock have a nice red binding around them, all very visually pleasing. The only negative things I can say about it here is that, because it's a bolt on, the last few frets are a little difficult to access and due to the shape of the guitar, it's really hard to find a stand for it! Due to the build of my house, my walls wouldn't be able to withstand having a bracket fixed onto them, especially not with the weight of the bass resting on it. So I've had to resort to using an old, soft, leather recliner to let it rest on for now, I may have to just invest in a small beanbag or something, unless anyone else has any idea's, as it certainly won't rest comfortably on a 2 pronged guitar stand. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would most certainly survive live playing. The hardware and electronics are all good enough quality to perform with. Im confident everything is capable of lasting a while, but there are a few upgrades I'd like to make. Strap locks and some higher quality pickups for instance. Maybe even a fancy new bridge, if I'm feeeling crazy. I can depend on it for almost anything, but I would never, ever gig without a backup. That's just silly and irresponsible. The finish, I think is there to stay. This guitar is heavy. Like... 7/8 Kilo's. So it will be a challenge playing long sets with. But I prefer having a heavy piece of machinery in my hands rather than a little light thing. I've always felt that basses should be heavy to coincide with the sound they make. I guess I'm just odd like that. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass fits perfectly with what I play. In the band I'm in, that's mostly modern metal, things like Trivium, Killswitch Engage and the likes. But it also does good for death metal, black metal, really anything heavy to be honest. I've only been playing bass for very almost a year. I really wanted to upgrade from my starter bass and I wanted to try out a 5 string and this bass is working out great for me. It really does dazzle people when they see it, because of its extravagant shape and eyecatching finish. If this was stolen, I'd be pretty raging, but I don't think I'd get the same one again, because when the chance comes, I prefer trying new things, plus it isn't easy to get hold of one of these, especially not for the price I managed to get it for. I really love everything about it. The sound, the look, the feel. It's perfect for me. Not the first choice for many others, but I feel right with this bass in my hands and thats what matters to me. I didn't actually try this out before buying it, which I realise now was awfully silly, but I was lucky to get a good quality model. I do wish it had better strap buttons on it and maybe it was more compatible with guitar stands, but you have to take a bit of bad with the good :) // 9

Comments