Virgin Four review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Virgin Four

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

I mostly play metal, but I do go into funk, blues, punk, just about anything, and this bass suits them all - if you ignore the styling. It looks really nice, but it is made for metal. The amp I am using is a Fender Rumble 25 and it plays really nice, you can get a nice Chili Peppers slap tone or a deep heavy tone. With a distortion pedal you can work wonders, get that Cliff Burton sound. The sustain is pretty good considering the small body and bolt on neck. Because of that though it neck dives. But is really light and easy to play standing.

I play metal primarily and it's perfect for that, and just about anything else you can play, but the styling and look probably wouldn't suit it. I've been playing a two years and a bit and I own a Gibson Les Paul, and a Fender Jazz Bass, I actually like this better than the jazz because it fits my style so much better - well, until it comes to funk. I own a Fender Bass amp and a Line 6 Guitar amp, and the B.C. plays nicely through the Fender. I wish I bought this with EMG's on rather than the B.C. standard pickups, because EMG's will give it a bit more of a sharper tone. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy another, I go buy the NT version. The one thing that gets me is the neck dive, but you get that on alot of B.C. basses. When I was buying this it was between this or a Thunderbird, I choose this because it is much more versitile a 1/4 of the price, looks better, feels better to play and kicks ass! Because of the neck dive I give it an 8 rather than a 9.

The Virgin would easily withstand playing live, it's a tank. The hardware and electronics seem like they will last, the tone and volume knobs are big chrome black things and quite robust, if they are anything to go by, tehy'll hold up for years. Like I said earlier the strap Buttons are solid, and are the size of manhole covers - or might as well be. Your strap, even if it's a really crappy one, will not fall off. The finish is good, looks like it will be ok, but the Matt finish gets marked easy if you sweat while you play, but a slight cleaning will fix that.

From the factory the guitar was set up good, the action was low, no fret buzz, neck was straight, everything fit nice and it's built like a tank. The pickups were at a good height, sounded perfect. The strap buttons are massive, I bought a new Dunlop Lucky 13 strap with it and it was a nightmare to put on, I won't need to switch to strap-locks and I've tried, because one button is on the back it digs into you while you play if fit strap locks, on the stock buttons it's fine. I didn't have to change anything, well apart from the strings, I put some heavier ones on.

The standard B\.C\. Rich Virgin Four: Year: 2009 Where: China Body Wood: Basswood Neck Wood: Maple Fingerboard: Rosewood Finish: Satin Black Body Style: Virgin Bridge: Adjustable Stop Pickups: B\.C\. Rich Humbucker Controls: One Volume, One Tone Tuners: B\.C\. Rich black, Die Cast Construction: Bolt on All in all it's pretty good. I just don't like the basswood, the NT Virgin has Mahogany and is only about 50 - 100 dearer.

Tyler Durden
    EpiExplorer
    Tyler Durden wrote: Damn I love virgins, nice body's, sharp looks, and a nice tight feel...neck dive is not a problem for me, as long as its in the right direction!
    Lawl, nice and tight..
    Gusv4b
    I will buy my first bass the following week... I am between the virgin four and the warlock vortex signature.... You helped me a lot with your review mate!