Virgin NT review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
B.C. Rich: Virgin NT

Purchased from: Music Farm

I'm a guitarist and I got this to get my Bass groove on. (Style varies from Slap to older Thrash. Using a very basic Peavey 110 amp at the moment.) I didn't want to go through the hassle of several Basses so I just put the green down to get it right the first time. And as far as sound, this Bass is surprisingly good. At first I was ready for the pickups to be ripped and having to spend $$$ on some Basslines, but these do the trick quite nicely. Very beefy sound. And with all the controls there's an incredible array of versatility with this instrument. Again, I only give it a 9 because nothing's perfect. (And because if I heard some ripping pickups beside this, I'm sure there would be a difference.)

BC Rich instruments are like some people: They look one way which invokes stereotyping but when you spend time with them and find out who they actually are, it's completely different. This instrument would be workable in any type of music even though visually anything but Rock/Metal would get you laughed at or at least not taken seriously. The paint situation really irks me. I see this on the web for around $800 and up and for that price a reasonable paint job would be expected. Otherwise, it's great. If it was ripped, I'd probably shop around a bit more first a Bass that that has a sound out of the box as I like my settings. If I got another of these I'd make sure to get some black gloss nail polish to do repairs as stuff happens.

This is where this Bass completely crashes & Burns. The paint on this instrument is the absolute worst I have ever seen on any instrument. Examples being anytime I have rubbed this against anything other then cloth the micro-thin paint job fades to the wood. And banging it against anything is guaranteed to give you a good view of the wood grain underneath. (Which really looks bad against the gloss black.) Mixed with a shape that invites some very ugly smash ups on the road means the worst of ratings. In fairness, the wood itself is very solid and so with a new paint job this Bass might cut it. As is it's a living room player, not at all road-worthy.

The action was very low and the fit & finish very nice. No problems - it was even almost still in tune despite the best efforts of UPS when I got it. (But see below.) The neck is the not the stereotypical BC Rich beefy, but very easy to work. (Rating here is subjective from the above ratings.)

(From the Website) Construction - neck through, Body wood - Mahogany, Top style - beveled top, Tuners B\.C\. Rich die-cast, Fretboard - ebony, Frets - 24 jumbo, Scale - 34, Bridge - Heavy adjustable, Pickups - B\.C\. Rich bass humbuckers (Passive), Controls - 2 volumes, 1 three-way toggle and 1 tone, 2 mini toggles series parallel and 1 mini toggle phase in out. I only give it a 9 because nothing's perfect. (Note for better or worse, this is made in China, not Korea.) 2009 Model.

fretsofthebeast
    lol at the finish... i wouldnt buy it finaly some1 has put up a REAL review .... instead of: 10= good 9= piece of sh!t
    Jesus_Dean
    After looking at the pictures, I can imagine the balance is way off. There's not enough body to offset the long neck of a bass guitar. Plus it looks too small / not enough wood to really get a good sustain out of it. But I could be wrong. Maybe B.C. Rich found a way to get around basic physics. Otherwise good review. Nice to see people that can find other numers on their keyboards than 10.
    restless_thrash
    c0m2011 wrote: why the balls would you name an instrument the Virgin?
    So you could TEAR IT'S METAL HYMEN ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!1! All jokes aside, the starter B.C. Rich's really do have at least one element of low quality. Good review.
    slowmoov
    Damn, I knew I missed some stuff.
    I can imagine the balance is way off
    Yeah it is, as in 45+ degrees south. I figure on routing a second nut 2/3 up the back (like on my Mocks) to even things out a bit at some point. In retrospect that probably deserves a ding on Action, Fit & Finish.
    Actually, it has pretty nice sustain. Which in retrospect is surprising. But there you go.
    Finally, an honest review, with no GAS! And at that, for a BC Rich!
    The silliness surrounding BC Rich is embarrassing for those who really do enjoy the quality instruments that are available. Barring the paint, I would've hiked this more around mid to high 7-8 on impression other stuff noted notwithstanding. Another thing I forgot to mention was if you want a manufacturer HSC, currently it'll be the coffin case or nothing. http://www.bcrich.com/cases.asp Basses Coffi n Case - BCRCC2 Deluxe Bag - BCBBAG1 Universal Bag BCUVBAG It fits pretty well in the HSC but even with the coffin headstock pillow and packing there was a bit of paint knocked off the tip. Having said that, Music Farm is great and I've gotten some really good deals during sales. And the stuff was well packed. So this review should take nothing away from them.
    TS-Genocide
    c0m2011 wrote: why the balls would you name an instrument the Virgin?
    dont you,like virins? lol jk i dont know
    john.andrew.fow
    I got one off these online, and returned it. I was gutted, it looked like the business. Balance was unbelievably bad, and at the first fret the neck got really thick. A disappointment. I went back to playing my Cort B4.
    john.andrew.fow
    Just an update, spent some time setting it up and it has grown on me. It is fast to play, but it does not hang comfortably, and it has serious neck dive. It does sound great with my zoom pedal.