Virgin NT Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 08/03/2009 category: Bass Guitars
B.C. Rich: Virgin NT
The Virgin NT provides a multitude of controls to provide full tonal flexibility. Add neck through construction and aggressive looks and you've got one serious sounding bass.
 7.2
 7.4
review (1) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Virgin NT Reviewed by: slowmoov, on august 03, 2009

Purchased from: Music Farm

Features: (From the Website) Construction - neck through, Body wood - Mahogany, Top style - beveled top, Tuners B\.C\. Rich die-cast, Fretboard - ebony, Frets - 24 jumbo, Scale - 34, Bridge - Heavy adjustable, Pickups - B\.C\. Rich bass humbuckers (Passive), Controls - 2 volumes, 1 three-way toggle and 1 tone, 2 mini toggles series parallel and 1 mini toggle phase in out. I only give it a 9 because nothing's perfect. (Note for better or worse, this is made in China, not Korea.) 2009 Model. // 9

Sound: I'm a guitarist and I got this to get my Bass groove on. (Style varies from Slap to older Thrash. Using a very basic Peavey 110 amp at the moment.) I didn't want to go through the hassle of several Basses so I just put the green down to get it right the first time. And as far as sound, this Bass is surprisingly good. At first I was ready for the pickups to be ripped and having to spend $$$ on some Basslines, but these do the trick quite nicely. Very beefy sound. And with all the controls there's an incredible array of versatility with this instrument. Again, I only give it a 9 because nothing's perfect. (And because if I heard some ripping pickups beside this, I'm sure there would be a difference.) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low and the fit & finish very nice. No problems - it was even almost still in tune despite the best efforts of UPS when I got it. (But see below.) The neck is the not the stereotypical BC Rich beefy, but very easy to work. (Rating here is subjective from the above ratings.) // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is where this Bass completely crashes & Burns. The paint on this instrument is the absolute worst I have ever seen on any instrument. Examples being anytime I have rubbed this against anything other then cloth the micro-thin paint job fades to the wood. And banging it against anything is guaranteed to give you a good view of the wood grain underneath. (Which really looks bad against the gloss black.) Mixed with a shape that invites some very ugly smash ups on the road means the worst of ratings. In fairness, the wood itself is very solid and so with a new paint job this Bass might cut it. As is it's a living room player, not at all road-worthy. // 3

Overall Impression: BC Rich instruments are like some people: They look one way which invokes stereotyping but when you spend time with them and find out who they actually are, it's completely different. This instrument would be workable in any type of music even though visually anything but Rock/Metal would get you laughed at or at least not taken seriously. The paint situation really irks me. I see this on the web for around $800 and up and for that price a reasonable paint job would be expected. Otherwise, it's great. If it was ripped, I'd probably shop around a bit more first a Bass that that has a sound out of the box as I like my settings. If I got another of these I'd make sure to get some black gloss nail polish to do repairs as stuff happens. // 5

Comments