Warlock NT 5-String review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Warlock NT 5-String

Price paid: € 560

Purchased from: Thomann.de

This monster is clearly a metal bass, and it suits pretty good to this style: you can have a very noisy sound with the active pick up, and by using distortion. But it is very very ambivalent, and it his a pretty cool surprise: you can find a very clear sound, round almost like a fretless with the active and a good amp. I use it on a little Marshall 15w amp at home, and it has a pretty good sound range, but in studio it is with a big Hartke, and the bass become a very massive destruction weapon. If you know how to setup your amp and pick ups, it can suit for metal, jazz, classical, punk, batcave, funk. It sounds pretty great for every of this styles, it sounds really amazing.

This bass is simply perfect: great sound quality, great range, great shape... It has a very very good price/quality ratio. You have a very good access to the last frets (the neck joins the body at the 22nd one), the neck is thine enough to get a good access to the bass strings even for little fingers. I advice it to every people who want a bass, even if it is a bit expensive, it stays less than a Fender or a Gibson or even a ESP for a quality as good as them. I think I won't change it and if I loose it or someting like this, I'll keep a BC Rich. However, three cons: it deserved EMG pick ups more powerful and precise (when the active pick up is at his maximum, it has some dirty sounds), the strap buttons are too smalls and you will quickly buy as expensive as the bass with the battery (average three months with one battery).

This is really a war machine, I think I could play it in the middle of a battle. Everything is solid enough to last, I totaly depend on it (I have no backup) and since now I had not problems with it. The only little thing is that there is I don't know what whith the strap buttons, but the strap detaches sometime when you move to fast, a big matter live. It does it with every straps I tried, and it can be really domageous live if you don't pay attention.

I have nothing to say about this... I think this is normal that it doesn't arrive tunned or seted up., I had to do it myself. But it was clean, proper and no damage or flaws. The woods are very good quality, the finish is perfect in the front and in the back of the bassn with no blanks or spots. Because of the black finish you will have to clear it many times if you want it perfect.

This bass was made during the 2000's in China and is no longer build since 2009. I have bought one of the last one, but you can still find it on the internet. It has got 24 ebony jumbo frets with nacre Diamond inlays and a 35'' scale. The construction is neck-through, with a mahogany body and a mapple neck, black finish. It has a really beautiful line head-neck-body, seams in one piece. The finish is black, you can guess it. Two BC Rich P-style active pick up, it is maybe the only bad thing: it diserved EMG pick up. There are four tuner: one volume, two for the tone and one for the active. It is a very cool bass with a good balance. The shape is very agressive and beautiful, it is not too heavy. It has one little disavantage: the trap to access the active pick up battery is very hard to open, and you will easily damaging the back of the bass. But it is a very cool bass.

jeanbassiste
    I really don't agree ! I payed it half the price of a fender or a Gibson or whatever USA-made bass, and it has a really perfect sound. I have it for more than a year and a half, and I had still no matters with it. No, really, the ratio price/quality is just perfect
    seitengewehr
    The instrument is pretty good, but most of the B.C.Rich instruments are overpriced. Yes, the looks are great, but everything else is not worth paying extra.