PJ Rosewood Review

manufacturer: Barracuda date: 09/14/2012 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Barracuda: PJ Rosewood
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
PJ Rosewood Reviewed by: Austenlml0lml, on september 14, 2012

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Kijiji

Features: This bass is awesome. I think it was made around 2010, but I got it used so I can't be sure. It has 21 frets, 34" scale, medium nickel frets, rosewood fingerboard (also available in maple), standard bolt-on Precision bass neck made from one-piece maple, basswood body, Precision bass body, passive electronics (2 volumes-one for each pickup - and one tone knob for both), Precision-styled pickup in the middle, Jazz-styled pickup in the bridge, Barracuda stock pickups, which are alright, non-locking standard tuners. // 7

Sound: This is the best bass I've ever played for under $500. Without a doubt. It perfectly replicates the P/J sound that has been made famous in punk rock if you have the tone knob up. Dial it down for a sweet, mellow, classic-rock tone. Turn off your Precision pickup and crank that tone if you want an angry, offensive tone with a lot of attack, something that will cut through even the heaviest-sounding guitars. Or put both pickups up full for a very punk sound. Lots of attack, lots of all-around decent tone. The pickups leave nothing to be desired in a bass of this price range. I have a Schecter Riot-5 and I prefer playing this. I'm putting it through a Peavey Mark-6 bass head and a Yorkville 410 cab, so there's a bit of muddiness in the low end but that's not at all because of the bass. It's quite noisy when on the J pickup, as can be expected with any single coil. Turning the tone knob all the way off or dialing back your bridge pickup volume will fix that. The P-Bass pickup isn't silent but it's not too bad. This can give you nearly any sound you want. It's a freakin' precision/jazz, remember? Classic rock and country to deathcore and black metal. It'll fit in everything. The only thing I've had a problem with is that when I get 'er into drop-C, the Jazz pickup loses some volume on the low string. But that's not a fault of the bass, that's just the pickup design. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how it was factory set up because I got it used, but when I got it it was in preem playability. It had no factory flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd gladly gig with this thing. It's the best bass I've played for the price and I wouldn't even be too bummed if it broke - (which it won't, I'm sure. Unless I decide to smash it, which is something I would do, knowing me) I'd just buy another. The only problem I've had with it was trying to stick heavy strings on and busting the nut, which was plastic. A new one will be cheap. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and rock. I love this bass because it can cut through distorted guitars without sounding like crap. I'm been playing for almost two years, I own this bass, a Schecter Riot-5, a Peavey Mark-6 and a Yorkville 410. I most often find myself playing this bass through that amp. I was happy with the product the second I touched and played it. It felt solid and didn't scream "CRAP" when I grabbed it. If it were somehow removed from my possession, I'd do my best to reacquire one of the exact same models. I love everything about it except the somewhat-skimpy bridge and plastic nut. Compared to a Squire P/J or P bass, this thing is amazing. Those basses are crap compared to this. That's my review, get one of these if you can. I'm VERY pleased with mine. // 8

Comments