PSN review by Benson

• Reviewer's score: 3.2 Poor
Benson: PSN

Purchased from: Ebay

Metal and most of the other subgenres is my main style of music, but sometimes nothing can beat a bit of bluesy jazz or something, so the sound needs to be versatile. Which this bass isn't. Playing through a Stagg 40BA amp which isn't bad for bedroom amplifier and the sound is flat and toneless. Which I guess is okay if you like your bass to sound deep and bassy but as I said, it gives off hardly any tonal qualities.

This doesnt't really suit any of my musical styles as I said it lacks tone and any real sweep. Been playing for 4Years, few gigs dotted around. I now own an Ibanez SR400QM and looking to buy anything bass, maybe its older brother, and I also own an 6string acoustic. I have various effect pedals, ODB-3, Big Muff Pi, and some octave pedals. If it was stolen I personally wouldn't buy it again because I have better things. Only reason why I kept this bass is to modify, like the pickups etc and it is something I can throw around without worry about it. I love that it is cheap and has a few accessories which is great for starting out, easily modifiable. I don't hate it because I have an emotional attachment to it, being my first bass and all, but it is load of rubbish compared to what I am used to now.

This guitar has had some abuse now and it still works all fine sound wise well sounds the same as when I got it, I just use it for warming up and writing riffs, it is second to my Ibanez SR400QM. Obviously. This Bass managed to get through a gig, how I have no idea. Wouldn't recommend it without a backup but to be honest it is always best to have a backup with anything. Straps are solid, I've flung it round my head and swung it around without strap locks, probably down to my actually strap more than anything but still always nice to know the strap nut wont come loose or break. I play pretty much everyday on it, for the last 4years and there is no fret wear apart from around the Gstring 12-14 fret. The paint for a start is very easily chippable, I don't really mind the bumps and bruises since it isn't really that expensive or a pretty.

The action was stupidly high, and since I didn't get any allen keys with the guitar to change the action, so it was a good job I have an Allen key set. The pickups where almost touching the strings due to the height of them so again had to be adjusted. All of these are easily fixed, but I guess if you are a begginer it can be worrying to fiddle around with your guitar. One of two of the control Knobs were loose and have actually fallen off whilst standing and playing. As for the wiring no problems at all. Yet. Picks up are very noisy if you turn the tone all the way up, what you would expect from most guitars especially with passive single coils but its is still annoying and not too great. Also it neck dives to the point where I can almost turn my pedals on and off.

Not sure when it was made or where the guitar came from, been trying to find out where but didn't really have any luck, so great start. Some of the Specs: - Has a Strat shaped Basswood body with a 3-ply pickguard, with limited access to higher frets. - A fat Maple C-shape neck finished in gloss, which is annoying in my opinion and can make playing a bit uncomfortable because of the drag. And you get a free neck dive included. - Rosewood fret board, with 20 Jumbo frets and dot position inlays. - Tone and volume knob finished in chrome. - Open gear tuner machine heads, these are surprisingly good actually don't really need to re-tune it much at all. - Passive P styled Pickup. - Includes a gig bag, strap, a weedy cable and 2 picks and a Benson GB 15watt amp, not the best obviously but its a small start. - Giving it a 4 because there isn't much that stands out and there isn't suppose to for a 80 bass, but it is good for young players or beginners who want to start playing, due to the accessories that come with the bass