575XL Review

manufacturer: Charvel And Jackson date: 07/01/2011 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Charvel And Jackson: 575XL
This is a late 80's Charvel bass. With the PJ configuration you can reach an amazing variety of sounds. Here you can find a rich, bright and with a lot of mids instrument.
 8.9
 8.8
 1,460
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
575XL Reviewed by: MarlinGlave, on july 01, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Features: This is a late 80's Charvel bass, according to the info I had it was made in Japan with the neckplate that says fortworth TX. It has a nice 22 frets rosewood fingerboard with a thin and fast neck. Mine came in a nice shiny red gloss tint all over the body, with a PJ configuration. The headstock says "Charvel by Jackson/Charvel" but the bridge and the pickups are signed by Jackson. The elecronic consist in a passive volume, blend and tone. When I purchased it I wanted to change electronics and pickups with a solderless EMG PJ set, but right now I'm really in love with the stock ones. The only really lack is weight. This thing is really heavy! // 8

Sound: With the PJ configuration you can reach an amazing variety of sounds. Here you can find a rich, bright and with a lot of mids instrument. The bridge pickup has the classic "hiss" of older single coil (no hum canceling on this bass) but with a Noise Gate the problem is over. Love it with the Sansamp GT2 Pedal and tried it even with a Zoom B1 multieffect pedal. Just amazing for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was setup from the factory. Mine came with a decent action. I went from a really high action (for drop situations) to a really low action (really fast paired with the thinner neck. Tuning pegs and bridge are ok, this thing has a lot of sustain, only flaw I found was the nut a little too low and a know that was a little loose, nothing really bad, but for a piece of wood that has 25 years it's ok. A little setup, a change of strings and this thing was ready to rock. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it absolutely withstand live playing and even touring. I changed the normal strap buttons with Schaller Straplocks, nothing wrong with the originals, only a precaution. This is my main bass. I was up to leave it for a 5 string, but can't find any used, so I'm up just to buy another one for rapid tuning changes (and because after this first Charvel bass I've become a Charvel addicted). // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play Metalcore (Bullet For My Valentine, A7X, Trivium, etc) and it suits my style, especially played with a pick. I started to play bass 4 years ago with a Peavey Millennium BXP then switched to this. I love every thing about this, besides the weight, that isn't really a problem for me. I can even sing when playing it. If it were stolen... Well I'm buying it again even if I alredy have one! So... Yes 100%. // 10

Comments